PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Pad Washer

imported_weekendwarrior
05-19-2008, 07:23 AM
The purpose of this thread is not to ask how to build a cheap pad washer. Instead, I am wanting to know if any of you have designed a better pad washer than what you can buy, regardless of the price. I know many of you have designed your own water filtering systems, and things like that, so I was wondering if anyone has designed a nice pad washing system?

Mindflux
05-19-2008, 07:46 AM
The purpose of this thread is not to ask how to build a cheap pad washer. Instead, I am wanting to know if any of you have designed a better pad washer than what you can buy, regardless of the price. I know many of you have designed your own water filtering systems, and things like that, so I was wondering if anyone has designed a nice pad washing system?

Faucet + Soap + pad spur :clap:

imported_weekendwarrior
05-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Faucet + Soap + pad spur :clap:

Yeahm but I was hoping for something with a little more ingenuity - LOL

Mindflux
05-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeahm but I was hoping for something with a little more ingenuity - LOL

How much energy/effort do you want to put in to save 119 bucks for a pad washer? If it took you a full day to engineer and test your own pad washer (which it would undoubtedly take more) it just makes sense to go and buy one at autogeek.

If you are doing it to say you could do it, then by all means.

imported_weekendwarrior
05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Again, this isn`t about saving money. I was just curious if anyone had built a better mousetrap so to speak.

budman3
05-19-2008, 08:14 AM
If you make one like the System 2000 pad washer, it looks pretty straight forward. All it basically is are a few pad spurs and a larger `gear` which brings water up to the pad. If you were to make you you would need to affix the pad spurs to the frame. Making your own, you will be able to add how ever many spurs you want, depending if more spurs = better cleaning. I`m sure it`ll be difficult to build a frame and attach the spurs to it but there are few moving parts which reduces the complications. Also, you could build it in a smaller bucket to reduce the amount of water used as well, just not sure how sturdy it`d be. It probably won`t be any cheaper since each pad spur is $15 a pop, unless you find parts similar but it may clean pads better, I`m not an engineer so I don`t know :nervous:

Spur:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/duospur.jpeg

Inside of a system 2000:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii293/PLINCLIN/92a7d8e3.jpg

Scottwax
05-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I just let mine soak in the sink for an hour, using hot water and Optimum Power Clean (about 1 cup for two gallons of water). Does an amazing job cleaning the pads!

abbeysdad
05-19-2008, 05:44 PM
How much energy/effort do you want to put in to save 119 bucks for a pad washer? If it took you a full day to engineer and test your own pad washer (which it would undoubtedly take more) it just makes sense to go and buy one at autogeek. No it doesn`t - why throw $120 bucks away for something you can easily do without? I mix a packet of cleaner with a couple of gallons of hot water and soak the pads overnight. Next day, after the product is nearly gone, I wash in the sink with Dawn. Pads come out great.