PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari 360 swirls are killer, what`s your best compound?

Pages : [1] 2

achilles99
05-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Many thanks to Way2SSlow for helping me with my 360 this weekend (hell of a guy, he even helped me spread some mulch around in my yard :) ). We tried SSR2.5, I believe some type of hypercut, some Optimum Polish, etc. We tried both PC and rotary, using a white, orange and yellow pad. SWIRLS ARE STILL THERE! This clearcoat is kicking our a$$.

I`m thinking about buying some optimum hyper compound, but I have a feeling that it won`t work judging by other reviews. What`s the best compound you all have used? Think back to the HARDEST clearcoat you`ve ever encountered. I swear, if this wasn`t my car I`d think the swirls were underneath the clearcoat.

Way2SSlow and I are thinking that wool pads are needed as a next step, but anyone have any other ideas?

We temporarily used a glaze topped by Souveran. Car looks great in the sun from 4 feet away, but the swirls are a challenge. We eventually called it quits, and I let him have the keys for a while. Swirls or not, it was a beautiful day to drive!

achilles99
05-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh, and a quick plug for the EZ detail brush... that thing is awesome on wheels!

baseballlover1
05-18-2008, 09:50 PM
When i was talking to todd he gave the impression (told me) that Ferrari paint is a breeeeze to work on. It is so soft. I believe him 100%. Are you working the polish in long enouph? Ive never worked with PB... only menz for me. If you must do something more aggressive go with m105 on a lc foamed wool.

And todd also said often ferrari`s get bumped up on the boat ride over and they need repainting in places. could this be something that happened to yours?

Todd@RUPES
05-18-2008, 09:52 PM
It`s just paint, hammer it. Doesn`t sound like you used anything super aggressive. 360 paint is normally a nice, softer clear. It wouldn`t suprise me if your car was repainted after shipping (it is very common on Ferrari`s).

Also do not put any chemicals on the rubbersized coating on your steering wheel column, door handles, or vent dials. They will turn to mush.

BTW the hardest paint I ever worked on an orginal paint black Lambo Countach. It took 10-15 passes with a compound to remove all the swirl marks (and never removed a measurable amount of paint).

imported_gators241987
05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
IMO 2.5 is a subpar product. ssr3 is much better for heavy swirls if you want to stick with PB products. Make sure you step down everytime, i.e. 3,2,1, polish. I refer to #95 when dealing with major swirls followed by SIP, 85rd. I was down in ATL a week ago for the Van Halen concert/detailing a clients car. Perhaps next time Im down there if you havent found a solution, I can help you get the swirls out.

achilles99
05-18-2008, 10:02 PM
We definitely worked it in for several passes. We focused on a two foot piece of the front quarterpanel. It may have been repainted. I had the front and rear bumper resprayed to get rid of chips, and now I`m wondering if they repainted more than that to blend it in.

Whatever the case may be, the paint is DEFINITELY not soft. In fact, it`s the opposite of that (on my car at least, maybe not on Ferrari`s in general).

Where can I buy M105 and a LC foamed wool pad (preferably same place)? What size pad and will I need a different type of backing plate? Thanks for the input...

PS - I am not trying to stick with PB stuff necessarily... just want the right product to get the job done, without having to buy one of everything to get the swirls out (I don`t mind stepping down, I just don`t want to have 5 compounds). Thanks for the offer to help, hopefully I can solve this issue sooner rather than later.

achilles99
05-18-2008, 10:09 PM
BTW, what`s #95 and 85rd? I couldn`t find those on the FAQ...

How do you all distinguish between Menzerna 105 and the Duragloss TPP 105? Seems like SIP is a popular one, maybe I should try that next...

imported_gators241987
05-18-2008, 10:10 PM
ADS and pakshak both of the items you need. what are you using? rotary, da? what size backing plate do you have?

blk45
05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Where can I buy M105 and a LC foamed wool pad (preferably same place)?

Auto Detailing Supplies (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/)

imported_gators241987
05-18-2008, 10:12 PM
BTW, what`s #95 and 85rd? I couldn`t find those on the FAQ...

How do you all distinguish between Menzerna 105 and the Duragloss TPP 105? Seems like SIP is a popular one, maybe I should try that next...

#95- Meguiars Speed Cut compound (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/meguiars-m95-speed-cut-compound.htm)

85rd- Menzerna Ceramiclear Final Finish PO85RD 32 oz (http://www.pakshak.com/menzerna-ceramiclear-final-finish-po85rd-32oz.html)

achilles99
05-18-2008, 10:19 PM
ADS and pakshak both of the items you need. what are you using? rotary, da? what size backing plate do you have?

I have a PC, using a 5" or 6" backing. Looks like ADS has a purple 6.5" wool foam pad that would be the ticket.

Looks like M105 is Meguiar`s 105, not Menzerna like a thought before. Is it necessary for both M105 and SIP, or just one of them? If just one, which one? Sigh... too many products, too little time. Thanks for the link BLK, I wouldn`t have known what ADS stood for :)

imported_gators241987
05-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a PC, using a 5" or 6" backing. Looks like ADS has a purple 6.5" wool foam pad that would be the ticket.

Looks like M105 is Meguiar`s 105, not Menzerna like a thought before. Is it necessary for both M105 and SIP, or just one of them? If just one, which one? Sigh... too many products, too little time. Thanks for the link BLK, I wouldn`t have known what ADS stood for :)

Im not a fan of 105, 95 is much better IMO, plus $30 cheaper for the gal. m105 or m95 is more aggresive than sip, and you would need a step down product. you can try sip to see how it would work out. least aggresive method first.

achilles99
05-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I`ll probably try the 95, since nothing else is even touching the swirls. Do you think it`s OK to use it with a PC, even though a rotary is recommended? Wade will probably want to come back and tackle the challenge again, and I know he has a rotary...

Way2SSlow
05-19-2008, 01:13 PM
When i was talking to todd he gave the impression (told me) that Ferrari paint is a breeeeze to work on. It is so soft. I believe him 100%. Are you working the polish in long enouph? Ive never worked with PB... only menz for me. If you must do something more aggressive go with m105 on a lc foamed wool.

And todd also said often ferrari`s get bumped up on the boat ride over and they need repainting in places. could this be something that happened to yours?

Jeez man. You really have a thing for Todd and Brian dont ya? Todd and Brian are very talented, but the fact of the matter is....all cars are different. Search for Audi/VW and you`ll find people saying that they`ll have incredibly hard clear and some saying it`s not so hard. I`ve polished Audis and VW`s before.....This 360`s clear is MUCH MUCH HARDER than the last A6 that I did of near the same vintage. The Audi was a 2000 and this particular 360 is a 99 model.

PC wouldnt do anything. I used a Yellow foam pad with HTEC/OP at around 1500 RPMS and it wouldnt even make a dent in the defects on this car. I realize that`s not super aggressive, but it`s what I had with me. I`m going to jump to wool, and thanks to Bryan`s (gmblack3a) guidance, I think I`m on the right track now. Just need to place the order.

I`m going to go back with 3M PI 3000 Extra cut, Menzerna SIP and either 106FF/85RD or Ultrafina. I`m kinda leaning toward the Megs solo pads per Todd`s review of them and the fact that I think I can source them locally.

PS. My neck got wicked sunburn from the mulching! :D :D Now I guess people can call me a redneck! :D

achilles99
05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
I`m confident we can get this knocked out. Worst case, we`ll get another nice afternoon drive in. Who would have thought that detailing could be so complicated. I have a whole new level of respect for those that do them every day.