PDA

View Full Version : ONR question

Obsessive1
05-18-2008, 06:49 PM
How long upon 1st use can you continue to use it?

imported_paradigm
05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
as in an expiration date? it can last years from what i`ve seen. the older version used to change color to a brownish icky color as it aged, but it still worked fine. the newer formula retains the blue color.

Obsessive1
05-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Sorry I wasn`t specific. My fault. I mean after mixing some up and using it. Can you still use it days later is what I was inquiring.

NSXTASY
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Sorry I wasn`t specific. My fault. I mean after mixing some up and using it. Can you still use it days later is what I was inquiring.

I wouldnt, but I suppose you could. I guess it would depend on how dirty the mixture was after a wash.

Given the nature of No Rinse washing, I wouldnt risk it.

If you could be more specific as to what you would be doing with it and why it may be more helpful. Are you washing your car and wanting to save the mix to wash your car a day or two later in the name of efficiency or..?

Its cheap enough that I would mix up another bucket.

Obsessive1
05-18-2008, 08:07 PM
I have just used it to wash panels before polishing. I was gonna still use it to wash some more panels when I get to do the rest of my polishing. Hate to waste it when I hardly used it.

Eliot Ness
05-18-2008, 08:38 PM
The mix won`t go bad, but it will eventually loose the blue color. I keep some mixed up in a garden sprayer (http://www.amazon.com/Chapin-Garden-1-Gallon-Sprayer-20000/dp/B000E28UQU) to clean my wheels with and it never goes bad, it just turns from a light blue to clear as the dye fades over time.

Using it this way, in a sprayer, might be a better option for you so the mix doesn`t get contaminated form your previous use.

NSXTASY
05-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I have just used it to wash panels before polishing. I was gonna still use it to wash some more panels when I get to do the rest of my polishing. Hate to waste it when I hardly used it.

that should be fine, I would at least cover the mix.

ducktail
05-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Dirt tends to settle to the bottom with ONR should be safe and a grit guard will help.

abbeysdad
05-19-2008, 07:25 AM
Dirt tends to settle to the bottom with ONR should be safe and a grit guard will help.

Ya know, I never really bought into this whole grit guard thing. I mean grit is gonna settle to the bottom of the pail and your sponge floats so what real purpose is that guard in the bottom? Unless you really slosh that pail, that grit is gonna stay down on the bottom.

haper
05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Ya know, I never really bought into this whole grit guard thing.

i agree, but i think most find its worth the small investment (less then $10) even if its minimally effective.

even though the sponge floats i still `dunk` it into the solution to get suds, this - in theory - could get the dirt on the bottom floating around and into the sponge. the grit is designed keep the water on the bottom of the pail `calm` to prevent this.

abbeysdad
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
i agree, but i think most find its worth the small investment (less then $10) even if its minimally effective.

even though the sponge floats i still `dunk` it into the solution to get suds, this - in theory - could get the dirt on the bottom floating around and into the sponge. the grit is designed keep the water on the bottom of the pail `calm` to prevent this.

I use a 5 gal pail, so there`s not much chance of something on the bottom coming up to the sponge.