PDA

View Full Version : New to Detailing: a few questions

B20teg
05-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I have been searching the site for quite sometime and watching the videos of how to detail. I have made a few purchases to add to my arsenal, and have a few questions for the pros.

First, when applying the products (Menzerna Micro Polish, Poli-Seal and Klasse AIO) to do some correcting (I tried every product on different panels) and seemed to keep getting same result. Everytime I applied product (applied on orange pad first and then car with UDM off) it seemed like I could not see it which makes it hard to retrace steps and work area, I was applying quarter size amounts to a 2 x 2 area, then with machine on (3-4) I began applying it to paint for area in hopes I would see it and then 5 to 6 to work polish in, but everytime I could not actual see the polish (so I can make sure I am consistently applying it). Temperature was cool, and I was for the most part in the shade with some sun.

Really what I`m after is I`m I applying the polish wrong? When I watch the vids you can see the polish easily (granted different polish)

Results where decent, not as dramatic I would have liked!

Sorry for the long post, just curious to see if my method is correct, if I should apply the polish with another method or if that is how it is.

Also, I`m using a UDM and was curious if wool pads are worth it, can the UDM work the wool?

Any help I can receive would be greatly appreciated, even helpful articles, I did seach just wasen`t sure what to type to get my results.

Thanks

rebelde33
05-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Wool pads are mostly for rotary use. You should try using Lake Country foam pads or Meguiar`s pads.

imported_themightytimmah
05-17-2008, 12:25 PM
For the polishing, try breathing on it, it`ll help you see the stages of the polish.

KAIO and Poli-seal don`t really visibly break down, they`re hard to tell with until you get a bunch of experience. Micro polish, on the other hand, is a lot easier to see break down.

A quarter size drop is kind of big, I usually use 3 *tiny* drops (think pencil eraser) per 2x2. You`ll see the polish go on as a wet, slightly white film, and it`ll turn into a clear oily film after a minute or so of working. A good trick with Menzerna is to brush out your pad with an old toothbrush after every panel, it`ll help keep the working characteristics consistent.

B20teg
05-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the advice so far guys I appreciate that. I will try the toothbrush trick, and see if breathing on it will make a difference. I just found it kind of odd, that it seemed like it was disappearing when I was applying it, just want to be consistently working the product.

Thanks again

Eth