PDA

View Full Version : New paint, have a few questions

PursuitSE
05-16-2008, 06:36 PM
I had the front end of my car resprayed in the begining of the week. Now the paint has some orange peal at some place and also has a few dust dots in it.

My car is a 2005 black Pontiac G5 which is still looking as good as a new one.

Here my question...

I have the following in hand :

PC7424

Meg`s Maroon pad, yellow pad and tan pad.

Meg`s #83

Meg`s #80

Meg`s ScratchX

and other waxes...

With the few thing I got, can I risk wet sending my car ?? Am I going to be able to get the paint to shine again. I don`t want to destroy my brand new paint.

Also, how long should I want to wax this new paint ?

Can I use a glaze on it ?

I am going to clay, polish and wax the rest of the car but the new paint tomorrow and I would like my question answered before I beging.

If it`s not worth trying with my PC on my new paint, I going to have my cousin to work on it with his Makita.

Thanks for the replies guys!

imported_Chris223
05-16-2008, 11:13 PM
I think you`re supposed to wait 3 months or something like that. You can use 3MIHG, it`s made for fresh paint, you can apply it as much as you like. That`s what little help I can offer, lol.

Accumulator
05-17-2008, 04:08 PM
I had the front end of my car resprayed in the begining of the week. Now the paint has some orange peal at some place and also has a few dust dots in it...

Too bad the painter didn`t take care of those issues for you. I`d rather put him on the spot- fix it in order to get paid.

With the few thing I got, can I risk wet sending my car ?? Am I going to be able to get the paint to shine again. I don`t want to destroy my brand new paint.

Depends how much paint he put on..is there extra you can afford to sand off :nixweiss That`s another reason to make *him* fix it. But yeah, you can wetsand fresh paint, he shoulda already done that as it shoudn`t have had those issues when you picked it up.

As for getting the sanding scratches out with a PC, you can do it if you use *good*/uniform paper like Meguiar`s/Nikken in a suitbly fine grit (no coarser than 2000). I`ve removed 2K Meguiar`s scratches from factory Audi clear *by hand*, so it can be done...might take a long time though. By PC, I`d sure use 4" pads.

Also, how long should I want to wax this new paint ?

90-120 days. If you do it too soon you`ll interfere with the outgassing and it`ll never attain max potential hardness.

Can I use a glaze on it ?

Yeah. 3M IHG, Meg`s #3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2.

Note that the new paint might be very soft for the first few weeks or so.

PursuitSE
05-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for this answer Accumulator.

Well, the painter didn`t take care of the issues me because my brother actually did it for me, for free. I only had to pay for the paint and furniture. He is a painter, not a polisher.

I don`t remember how many coat of paint he did, but I know for sure that there is 3 coats of clear on top of it.

The paint defects aren`t very noticable, a "normal" person wouldn`t bother, but I would like it to be almost perfect.

I think that I`ll just clay, polish via PC and wax the car tomorrow, but not the new paint.

I`ll wait a couple of weeks, then I will have my cousin who does polishing to look at my paint. I don`t feel comfortable enough with wet sanding to do it myself. Not at this point at least.

I finally did my interior today since I didn`t get a good answer to my question yesterday.

thanks again.

David Fermani
05-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Here`s a good thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/64978-paint-cure-time-not-necessary.html

I`m still scratching my head about this subject....

Accumulator
05-18-2008, 11:48 AM
PursuitSE- Glad to be of help. I understand about both the politics of having your brother do the work and about flaws that noboby else would notice. I sometimes find that after a while "terrible flaws" don`t bother me quite as much...sorta surprising considering how I am about this stuff, but it does happen.

Oh, and :xyxthumbs for being leery of the wetsanding. Better to be overly cautious than to wish you had that way-back-machine after you do an oops.

David Fermani- Yeah, I :think: about this too. What does/doesn`t intefere with outgassing and how/why :nixweiss "My stuff is OK, just take my word for it" and all the arguments about why the paint manufacturers might say something that could be incorrect...I`ve heard it all and I still don`t know what to believe so I err on the side of caution and recommend that others do the same.

One thing I know for certain from first-hand experience is how (baked) paint continues to harden for quite a long time. With that being the only solid *fact*, everything else is, to me, a guess and a gamble...a guess no matter *how* educated it may be, and a gamble not worth taking in *my* situation.

Hey, the test would be simple...baked S-H paint waxed/sealed/not and tested with various abrasives over a period of four months. I, however, have better things to do ;)

PursuitSE
05-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I spent my afternoon shining my car and here is the result.

I didn`t touch the new paint.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z212/lamonpat/P1000150_1.jpg

Process :

wash with NXT

clayed with Meg`s blue clay using Last Touch for lube

#83 via PC with Meg`s yellow pad on some scrached areas

#80 via PC with Meg`s yellow pad

#21 via PC with Meg`s tan pad

#26 by hand for the final wet look

Whells wells and tires weren`t dressed because it rained after I was done.

Was a long week-end working on my car, but it`s well worth it.

Accumulator
05-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Sure looks nice :xyxthumbs

That #80 probably won`t be *too* strong for the fresh paint, at least after a little while.