PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-First Detail Tommorrow

maxnharry
05-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Hey-been spending alot of time here learning and wanted to thank everyone for the amazing body of information here. I am planning to do my first detail in the morning on my white 1998 Ford Windstar. It`s actually my wife`s car and has been treated roughly. This is what I am planning, would appreciate any comments you`d like to offer.

1. Thoroughly wash car with Dawn

2. Dry with Target MF Towel

3. Clay car with Clay Magic blue

4. Prepsol wipedown

3. 1Z Extra Paint Cleaner with Flex and orange LCC pad

4. 1Z Paint Polish with Flex and white LCC pad

5. Hand Wax with 1Z Glanz

6. Clean all glass with Stoner`s Invisible Glass

7. Wheels with 1Z Wheel Cleaninerls

9. Clean interior with woolite and warm water.

dmw2692004
05-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Sounds good! Are you going to treat/ Clean the carpets?

imported_Denzil
05-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Welcome to Autopia!

As far as your process goes, this is what I would do considering you have some unnecessary steps.

1. Thoroughly wash car with Dawn

2. Dry with Target MF Towel

3. Clay car with Clay Magic blue

4. Prepsol wipedown - Not necessary but can be moved under your step 4, after using the 1Z Paint Polish

3. 1Z Extra Paint Cleaner with Flex and orange LCC pad - Not necessary since you`re going to be using the 1Z Paint Polish

4. 1Z Paint Polish with Flex and white LCC pad

5. Hand Wax with 1Z Glanz

6. Clean all glass with Stoner`s Invisible Glass

7. Wheels with 1Z Wheel Cleaninerls

9. Clean interior with woolite and warm water.

Hope you enjoy your stay here. Just be careful, you might end up spending more than you planned. :nana:

maxnharry
05-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Sounds good! Are you going to treat/ Clean the carpets?

Yes-I am using Oxy Clean spray for spots and then woolite with warm water and a brush. I will pre-brush and vacuum before that and then use a shop vac to extract.

maxnharry
05-17-2008, 04:48 PM
The detail was alot of fun and the car looks loads better, but now I can see how bad off the paint is. Also learned a bunch.

1. I need to use an additional light. After I put the car in the sun, I noticed that alot of the spider webbing was still there.

2. I need to not be afraid to hurt the paint, I needed to do more passes to get my paint corrected.

Now some more questions:

1. Did I get the right products for the job? Does 1Z make something more aggressive to correct paint?

Thanks again!

SuperBee364
05-17-2008, 04:58 PM
The detail was alot of fun and the car looks loads better, but now I can see how bad off the paint is. Also learned a bunch.

1. I need to use an additional light. After I put the car in the sun, I noticed that alot of the spider webbing was still there.

2. I need to not be afraid to hurt the paint, I needed to do more passes to get my paint corrected.

Now some more questions:

1. Did I get the right products for the job? Does 1Z make something more aggressive to correct paint?

Thanks again!

Yes. 1Z Intensive Paste is supposed to be really good stuff. You would use it for paint correction (swirl and spider web removal). Then after that, you might want to go with 1Z High Gloss (some places call it Hoch Glanz). It`s a finishing polish that you`d use with a white LC pad, and it works *very* well.