PDA

View Full Version : not geting the results i want

superdelsol
05-15-2008, 07:14 PM
ok well this is the my first attempt a detailing the paint. well i did the paint chip thing like in the tutorial. i used meguire`s #2 after the sanding, worked great. now i wanted to get rid of swirl maks. but it`s not getting any better. i`m using meguire`s #9 with an orange lake country pad. doesn`t really seem to work. i`m geting a hase and swirls are still there wich i though would come out with the white pad and meguire`s #3 afterwards. seems like i could do better with #2 cause the areas i did came out nice. any suggestions.

thanks

scary bill
05-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Megs #9 has almost no cut with a PC, and a LC orange with PC will leave haze. To polish out compunding marks you will need something like #80/#83 with a white pad.

I only use #9 as a *really* gentle cleaning polish, and #82 works better for that.

superdelsol
05-15-2008, 07:33 PM
so would using meg`s #2 with a white pad be overkill. then use a glaze after that

scary bill
05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
so would using meg`s #2 with a white pad be overkill. then use a glaze after that

Looking at the info on #2 it sounds like 1 step up from #9. If #2 is removing the swirls then use it. Instead of a glaze( which won`t polish any defects) you could try #9 with a finishing pad to see if it improves gloss. As long as #2 is leaving a good finish you may be fine. If #2 is leaving micromarring or haze behind, then #9 will probably not clear that up well so try it and see. Remember to check your work in the sun to make sure it is the finish you want.

If #9 does`t do anything to help the finish, but it looks good then try out #3 (the galze)

victory
05-15-2008, 08:23 PM
I thought #2 was a rotary only product? Should probably get some 83 and 80.

superdelsol
05-16-2008, 05:33 AM
thanks i`ll try #2 then follow with #9 or the glaze. i took another look at the areas i did with #2 and they look good. thanks for the help. and for the future i`ll be getting 83 and 80

superdelsol
05-16-2008, 09:09 AM
well i officially quit!....till my next days off. i did megs 2 with white LC pad then followed with 9 with black LC pad. hase it gone but i still have swirls. maybe just need more passes. but before i get too mad and really do something bad gonna cool it. anyways ley me know what you think

Accumulator
05-16-2008, 09:45 AM
OK, I`ll take a stab at this...

superdelsol- This must be frustrating!

(Note: the following is specific to this situation and is all PC-centric)

Product info:

#2 has been reformulated to work OK by PC and thus also by hand. Gotta work it long enough for the abrasives to break down, which will mean until it`s almost dry. I haven`t used this newest version, but it oughta be pretty similar to #83 only with a bit more cut.

#9 is *VERY* mild and will often only do (even minor) correction via rotary; not the right product to remove hazing from #2 (unless you`re using a rotary). Although commonly available, this is generally not, IMO, a very useful product for people working by hand/PC.

#3 is a functionally nonabrasive glaze that`ll make things look better temporarily but won`t really fix the issue.

You might need an intermediate polish with more cut than the #9 but less than the #2, e.g., something like #80. Going from #2 to #9 by PC/hand is a pretty big jump IMO. Perhaps Scratch-X could even work for this (by hand or via polishing pad).

Pad info:

Only use the orange pad with aggessive stuff like the #2 and only for the major correction.

Use the polishing pad for almost all the work. I`d even do my final #2 passes with it.

Don`t expect *any* correction with the finishing pad.

I like to switch to a polishing pad as soon as I have the major correction done. That means limited work with the orange and switching to the white ASAP.

Unless the paint is *SUPER* soft, I wouldn`t use a finishing pad for much of anything, at least not until the marring was pretty much all gone (then just for final burnishing). So plan on doing almost all the work with a polishing pad (yeah, that`s worth repeating ;) ).

Working by PC, I`d be using 4" pads for all the correction. The oh-so-popular larger pads just never worked all that great for me compared to the smaller ones. If working with larger pads, everything about using the polishing pad the most probably goes double.

Keep in mind that some situations require seemingly *countless* passes with the PC. I`ve spent literally over an *hour* doing one panel over and over and over (which is why some of us aren`t all *that* keen on the PC for correction ;) ). This might be exactly what you`re facing with the needed intermediate step- you need to use something mild enough to leave a good finish (but not as mild as the #9) and that might take a lot of work to do the job. So find that intermediate product and use it until things clear up.