PDA

View Full Version : Dash Overlay Kits

sexmoneydrugs
05-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone had experience with those dash kits - they appear to be just adhesives that paste over the original.

If they`re likely or liable to just peel off, then obviously it would be a very stupid move.

I have a brand new Chrysler 300 - it`s the LX model, so it doesn`t have all of the accents of the more expensive models.

The car is silver, so I had been checking out the brushed aluminum kits.

JonP
05-15-2008, 05:19 PM
You get what you pay for. The higher priced name brand kits are usually the better ones to buy. Those kits off eBay will most likely peel off after a few months. If you clean the dash thoroughly, they will stick much better. Just find the ones that uses the 3M tape on them.

sexmoneydrugs
05-15-2008, 05:35 PM
What are the trusted name brands for the kits? Also, will they all eventually peel off?

Basically, I helped my Mom buy the 300. I got the LX version cuz I drove the Touring, and the engine wasn`t much different. Her friends all drive Lincoln Town Cars and Cadillacs - your basic "old people" cars.

Most of the kits run around $100 - so I was thinking it would be nice to accent it.

But I don`t wanna get a call in 5 years (or even 10 - she keeps cars maintained) - with her crying about her car "peeling up". She wouldn`t understand at all.

If they`re safe and they stick forever, that`s cool. If not, I`d better not fool with it.

NCZ13
05-15-2008, 05:38 PM
i can talk to andy of bluebatmobile.net. he does vinyl overlays for cars.

i can talk to him about getting some templates done on a 300C.

sexmoneydrugs
05-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Cool - given the mechanic is the only person who`s ever going to know what model she has, I was hoping to "fake" it as a 300C - but it is just an LX.

JonP
05-15-2008, 06:54 PM
The best kits are going to be more than $100. More likely 3 times than depending on just how much of the interior you want to cover. eDash (http://www.edashkit.com/store/p/3073-Full-Kit-98-Pcs-.html) has a Full Kit, 98 Pcs (http://www.edashkit.com/shared/diagram/Chrysler/CR3008B.gif). for $292.50

sexmoneydrugs
05-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I don`t know where I got $100. I`ve been accessory shopping all day.

I found out I could get a 300C Hemi badge for around $30 - I`ll have to ask the dealer if that "exchange" would void the warranty :) The SRT8 badge would likely get it stolen.

Have you installed one of these kits before? I don`t want it to look cheap - obviously, that would make it a rather stupid upgrade.

But I know cars get stupid hot inside - so I`m thinking any adhesive is likely to peel after a while.

I`ve kinda talked myself out of it at this point - as my Mom is very happy with it already. And having helped her buy it, it`s kinda my responsibility.

So having her go into hysterics about the car peeling apart would not be cool. And buying a plane ticket to go peel up the old and put in a new kit, plus all the gummy crap that would most likely be all over the place...

Unless someone here has a tremendous amount of faith in the kits, I`ll probably pass.

JonP
05-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I don`t know where I got $100. I`ve been accessory shopping all day.

I found out I could get a 300C Hemi badge for around $30 - I`ll have to ask the dealer if that "exchange" would void the warranty :) The SRT8 badge would likely get it stolen.

Have you installed one of these kits before? I don`t want it to look cheap - obviously, that would make it a rather stupid upgrade.

But I know cars get stupid hot inside - so I`m thinking any adhesive is likely to peel after a while.

I`ve kinda talked myself out of it at this point - as my Mom is very happy with it already. And having helped her buy it, it`s kinda my responsibility.

So having her go into hysterics about the car peeling apart would not be cool. And buying a plane ticket to go peel up the old and put in a new kit, plus all the gummy crap that would most likely be all over the place...

Unless someone here has a tremendous amount of faith in the kits, I`ll probably pass.

If you get a good kit, there should be no problem with it peeling off later on down the line. Just be sure there is no residue on the parts you are placing the overlays on and clean them very well, twice. Sherwood Dash seems to be one of the best dash overlay manufactures for your car. Just Google for Sherwood dash kits (http://www.google.com/search?q=Sherwood+dash+kits&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a) and pick your dealer.

Setec Astronomy
05-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I found out I could get a 300C Hemi badge for around $30

Why would you want to do that? That`s certainly an "all show, no go" upgrade, and why would your mother care if the car says "C" or "LX" on it? I think I could put another brand of red car in my mother`s garage and she wouldn`t even notice. Are those people with the Town Cars and Cadillacs going to look down their nose at her because it`s an LX instead of a C?