PDA

View Full Version : Megs Solo System?

Pages : [1] 2

Junebug
05-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Has anybody tried this? and if so - what do you think?

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

imported_weekendwarrior
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I have all the Solo pads and backing plate, and love them. I haven`t used the polish, as I understand it is designed for new paint.

04yfz
05-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I love the gray foam solo pad, one of the best finishing pads I`ve used.

TTWAGN
05-15-2008, 08:55 PM
The solo pads are slightly expensive and wear out quicker than average.

These would be the worst pads on the market if you were a Professional detailer doing multiple cars.

HOWEVER

They are extremely smooth to use and probably the best beginner pads on the market. The general opinion is that wool is best for defect removal and foam is best for final gloss.

So if you are only going to do your car or a couple cars only then these pads would be a good investment.

The solo liquid is pretty good. Its a moderate to high cutting compound that finishes well and has a short to medium working time. It uses similar technology to M105 but that cuts more and has a shorter (too short) working time.

If you are new to the rotary and have a car with soft paint then i would reccomend a finer polish to use on the solo finishing pad, such as Meguiars #3 machine glaze. The solo compound on the finishing pad is still fairly strong so it may take some practice to get right. If you have a PC or orbital buffer i`d just use that for the last step until you perfect the solo.

I`ve moved onto the Edge 2000 system, and as i do a lot of cars its much more cost effective for me. Less than half the price in pads for the same work done.

imported_themightytimmah
05-15-2008, 09:36 PM
I tore up a SOLO wool pad in one car`s worth of use. Hopefully they`ll replace it, as it was 15 bucks at the body shop supply :angry.

Their foam pads are nice, but I`m not sold on the one liquid system. I got to demo it, but honestly I find the same failings that I find with all of the pad dependent polishes out there - it doesn`t cut fast and hard enough for me on a wool pad, and it doesn`t finish quickly enough for me on a foam pad or perfectly on all paint types.

It fills someone`s need for sure, but not mine.

Superior Shine
05-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I love the solo system even on cured paint. I have had foam pads since last summer and still going strong.

TTWAGN
05-16-2008, 01:51 AM
it doesn`t cut fast and hard enough for me on a wool pad, and it doesn`t finish quickly enough for me on a foam pad or perfectly on all paint types.

Definitely!

It doesn`t cut strong enough on the hard clear coats even with the heavy cut pad.

It doesn`t finish fine enough on the soft clear coats leaving holograms even on the finishing pad.

On the majority of clear coats though, it can remove all defects with the heavy cut pad and finish hologram free on the finishing pad.

To cover all paint types you need atleast two liquids (fine and strong) and three pads (cutting, polish, finish)

Junebug
05-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Thanks ya`ll, I thought the same as TTWAGN about detailing "you need atleast two liquids (fine and strong) and three pads (cutting, polish, finish)"

But I`ve learned the hard way (empty wallet) on new products, that it`s better to ask someone who`s tried it, before I jump and get it. I read a little last night on MOL about the Solo pad issues - seems some have them and a few others didn`t, the fact that there is an issue bothers me.

danponjican
05-16-2008, 06:44 AM
I think S1 is what the Solo system is not. It takes it to the next level in defect removal ability and quality of the pad (Edge pad).

imported_weekendwarrior
05-16-2008, 07:38 AM
I don`t think you can compare S1 and Solo. Solo was designed for new paints, and says so clearly on the Meguiar`s site. Sure, a lot of guys may have success with it on established paints, but it isn`t what it was designed for.

Junebug
05-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Weekend is right, apples and bananas again. I was confusded a bit about the Solo line but I read more on MOL and it`s not for the beaters I deal with.

TTWAGN
05-16-2008, 07:52 PM
New car paint or old car paint. Any product that works with one works with the other.

So its a fair apple to apple comparison IMO.

System one suffers the same problems. On soft clear it can hologram as the polish is too strong no matter how soft the pad is. So you can do the job on 90% of the cars.

To cover all paint types you need atleast 2 liquids and atleast 3 pads.

Strong polish - Meguiars M105

Light polish - 3M ultrafina

Cutting pad - Edge black wool

Polishing pad - Edge blue wool

Finishing pad - Edge white foam

Those 5 products could remove any defect from 99.99% of the paint jobs on the market.

imported_themightytimmah
05-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Weekend is right, apples and bananas again. I was confusded a bit about the Solo line but I read more on MOL and it`s not for the beaters I deal with.

Beaters, eh? You`ve gotta get your hands on that new Meg`s Detail line creme when it comes out. It`s supposed to be #66`s big brother. Cuts like 83, finishes like 80, fills decently.

Todd@RUPES
05-16-2008, 10:05 PM
New car paint or old car paint. Any product that works with one works with the other.

So its a fair apple to apple comparison IMO.

System one suffers the same problems. On soft clear it can hologram as the polish is too strong no matter how soft the pad is. So you can do the job on 90% of the cars.

To cover all paint types you need atleast 2 liquids and atleast 3 pads.

Strong polish - Meguiars M105

Light polish - 3M ultrafina

Cutting pad - Edge black wool

Polishing pad - Edge blue wool

Finishing pad - Edge white foam

Those 5 products could remove any defect from 99.99% of the paint jobs on the market.

I would include a middle polish as well (though M105 can be doubled)

My list

SP- M105

MP- Menzerna SIP

FP- 3M UF-SE or Menz FPII

Cutting Pad- Meg`s So1o Yellow Wool

Polishign Pad- LC Green German Foam

Finishign Pad- Meg`s So1o Finishing Pad

DinoV
05-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Just wondering where you get these LC Green German Foam Pads?

Seems to be different LC green foam pads at different places.