PDA

View Full Version : New Paint

faststangbk
05-13-2008, 08:16 PM
I just got my bumper painted yesterday. They said I could use some polishes and glazes as long as the paint could still breathe. I also emailed sal from zaino and he said it was ok to use on new paint. Anyone have experience using polish(zaino) on new paint. I only will use it if im sure it will not fade the paint. Thanks

Invigor
05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
If it`s a day old, why do you have to polish it? It should look the best it`s ever looked with that brand new clear coat on there!

Holden_C04
05-13-2008, 08:50 PM
New panels usually (almost always) require paint correction. Some might require spot correction, others may require a large time investment if the paint was layered a bit thick or was inexperienced. If the paint runs :soscared: then you have a problem.

Macruz19
05-14-2008, 05:15 AM
I`ve applied Zaino on almost a month old repainted panel, and I have no problems. It`s been almost 3 years and my panel looks good as the original paint.

I`d wait a little while, and let the car sit out in the sun so the paint can dry. You might also want to correct the paint from the body shop that left some swirls, haze, or even orange peel. If you have that, then you might want to take it back for them to buff it out.

Rickrack
05-14-2008, 07:31 AM
I have never used Zaino over a freshly painted surface, but I would definitely recommend staying away from any product that contains silicone.

faststangbk
05-14-2008, 08:04 AM
OK Thanks. Yea the paint does not look bad at all I just was going to do one coat since the rest of my car has like 10 coats on it

Holden_C04
05-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I`ve applied Zaino on almost a month old repainted panel, and I have no problems. It`s been almost 3 years and my panel looks good as the original paint.

New paint requires a period of off-gassing to release solvents. This period is anywhere from 60-120 days, depending on the bodyshop and whether or not they bake the paint. An LSP will prevent this process from happening.

Accumulator
05-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Note that the potential problem is that interfering with the outgassing will result in the paint not attaining its maximum potential hardness (and that`s the only potential problem I`ve ever heard of).

It`s a question of whether certain LSPs interfere with the outgassing or not. Zaino says their stuff is OK, so does Optimum. FWIW, Sal Zaino used to be a painter and Optimum has supposedly been OKed by Ford for post-production paintwork.

I myself stick with glazes, but that`s just me.