PDA

View Full Version : Curbed a wheel... what should I expect to pay to refinish?

Pages : [1] 2

Gopher
05-13-2008, 07:15 AM
My morning has started out terribly. I just curbed one of my brand new wheels leaving the gym. I`m sick to my stomach over the damage and am going to have to repair it.

Any idea as to what I should expect to pay for a refinishing? Theres no bend or anything, just a scrape to the lip.

Uggh I can`t win.

20jettatdi03
05-13-2008, 07:24 AM
That depends... Are they painted, do they have a lip etc...

If they are painted you can attempt a fix yourself as i did:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/104941-curb-rash-repair.html

i was quoted $120 a wheel, but i did have far more damage than u say u do so it might not be that bad for you. Only way to find out is to call around

Sorry about your luck

Dan

Mindflux
05-13-2008, 07:26 AM
120 a wheel seems about normal around here (Austin TX).

imported_spielnicht
05-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Sorry to hear that, that sucks.

Curbed my new 18" Mille Miglia wheel the morning after I put them on :cry: I couldn`t believe it. I was used to 16" with the extra outer rubber.

I couldn`t repair it as it was powder coated. The damage was minimal, but enough to pi-- me off. Went up on eBay for half what I paid and got a new one within a week.

Hopefully they`re not powder coated and painted, so you should be able to repair the damage.

Gopher
05-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I hate having to repair them so soon, but on the bright side $120 does not sound unreasonable. I won`t try to repair these myself as I have no garage to work in/ would rather just pay to have it done right. I`ll work on my body myself, but I`ve no experience in this and doubt my results would be as nice as 20jettas, though thankfully the damage is less.

Sigh... crappy way to start the morning, but on the bright side I just got an email from coastal tools... apparently they`re only in CT so the rotary (makita) I was hoping to receive by friday is presently out for delivery.

David Fermani
05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
120 a wheel seems about normal around here (Austin TX).

I agree. That`s pretty much the going rate throughout the country. Some places are $110, but charge you $10 more to dismount/mount/balance. So it`s the same thing really.

My5ABaby
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Sorry to hear that, that sucks.

Curbed my new 18" Mille Miglia wheel the morning after I put them on :cry: I couldn`t believe it. I was used to 16" with the extra outer rubber.

I couldn`t repair it as it was powder coated. The damage was minimal, but enough to pi-- me off. Went up on eBay for half what I paid and got a new one within a week.

Hopefully they`re not powder coated and painted, so you should be able to repair the damage.

I`ve curbed my new cars rims a couple times for the same reason. My RX-7 has plenty of rubber sticking out so I could rub curbs and stuff while parking to get as far away from people as possible. New car... not so much... :(

Gopher
05-13-2008, 03:14 PM
well.. these 18s just replaced my stock 16s, so I`m going to use the same excuse...

I`m still miffed, but I may wait a while to repair them--I don`t know. bahh.

My rotary consolation prize wasn`t delivered... friggin` ups and their exceptions.

Evenflow
05-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Funny you mention that.

I went and sanded my curb rash on my winter wheels today. Started with 800 grit, finished with 2000. They feel very smooth now and look a heck of a lot better. Throw a coat of clearcoat on them and it will look perfect.

Thats my fix for $5.00

Showroom Shine
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Here is company that repairs the polished wheels with the baked on paint. They do not repair chrome. Also Ezinetts sells the repair kits with the sand paper, primer and paint. I know the Owner personally, these guys are GOOD!

Professional Rim Repair; Columbus Ohio; Cleveland Ohio; Cincinnati Ohio; Akron Ohio; Dayton Ohio; Wheel Repair; Bent Wheel; Bent Rim; Wheel Refinish; (http://www.rimprofessionals.com)

Macruz19
05-13-2008, 07:54 PM
I`d try to find a store online to see if they sell the OEM wheel at a cheaper price. I usually pay for a new wheel, but that all depends on the repair, and how well they can match the paint.

Gopher
05-13-2008, 08:24 PM
replacing is not really going to be an option. This was somewhat of a project as the wheel was 1 rare and 2 did not come in my car`s size, so a machine shop had to bore out the center bore to 74.1... Repair or selling at a loss are my only options.

I`m on Long Island so it looks like show room`s ohio re finishers might be a bit far for me.

imported_spielnicht
05-14-2008, 06:13 AM
I bought this based on recommendations from this forum. I haven`t used it for intended purpose yet (removing wax for body kit installation), but seems to work great for other small projects I had involving removing adhesive.

Not sure what the overall consensus is, but Goo Gone is a little too abrasive to use around the car.

http://3m.hillas.com/Images/product/3m_Hillas_com/Application/13847.jpg

LICamaro85
05-14-2008, 05:15 PM
I`m on the island also... Ive been refinishing wheels for 5+ years if you want me to take a look at it just shoot me over a PM... Or I can give you a few places that do great work on the island.

motobuild
05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
There you go man...you`re lucky! I had a small bit of curb rash on one of my old wheels and the best I could do was take it to a machine shop...Alaska doesn`t have a wheel repair business up here.