PDA

View Full Version : Ever get tired of these "What`s the best product or products threads?"

Pages : [1] 2

jayjacque
05-12-2008, 08:32 AM
I was just thinking that some of the older seasoned pro`s in Autopia Land might tire of thread after thread wanting to know what is the best this or best that. I probably would too if I were in your shoes. But just want you to know for all the noobs and semi-noobs of all types like myself, that information is still like gold! It`s easy to say search the archives, but current reviews and opinions along with older threads give a real complete overview. So I guess I`m saying it`s much appreciated. Thank you for letting us into your world!

And by the way what is the best all around wax/sealant/glaze/polish/auto wash/tire dressing/leather conditioner/carpet extractor/steamer/DA/rotary? just kidding :grinno:

abbeysdad
05-12-2008, 09:26 AM
I was just thinking that some of the older seasoned pro`s in Autopia Land might tire of thread after thread wanting to know what is the best this or best that. I probably would too if I were in your shoes. But just want you to know for all the noobs and semi-noobs of all types like myself, that information is still like gold! It`s easy to say search the archives, but current reviews and opinions along with older threads give a real complete overview. So I guess I`m saying it`s much appreciated. Thank you for letting us into your world!

And by the way what is the best all around wax/sealant/glaze/polish/auto wash/tire dressing/leather conditioner/carpet extractor/steamer/DA/rotary? just kidding :grinno:

DITTO - I don`t have the time, energy or significant $$$ to test boat loads of products so it`s very good to see the product feedback.

Likewise is procedural stuff on the detailing process than can assist in uncovering new and better methods.

GREAT place to learn and share!

dublifecrisis
05-12-2008, 10:24 AM
as a noob, when I wonder if something is good I just go dig up the 10 best and 10 worse products and that gives me a good idea. When I noticed ONR was in almost everyones top 10 and many times listed as #1 in their lists: well, I pulled out the credit card and ordered ONR.

Mindflux
05-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I addressed this very issue 4 years ago. Most of the `seasoned` veterans of Autopia have left since then.

I mostly lurk now a-days.

Rob Tomlin
05-12-2008, 01:21 PM
The answer to the question changes as new products are released.

Accumulator
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
For some reason I don`t really mind going over the same ground again and again, even though my basic recommendations haven`t changed much over the years.

And I kinda figure that a lot of people really don`t want to do a whole lot of research, they just want a simple answer to what they think is a simple question. I find the "oh, go search!" response pretty rude and I also feel bad for somebody who posts that seemingly reasonable/simple question only to see their thread ignored by us "detailing experts". Gotta admit that the search function hasn`t always worked that well for *me* anyhow.

Yeah, "how do I detail my car" is kinda like "how do I build a house", and the "what wax do I need to make.." Qs probably make me :rolleyes: as much as the next Autopian, but hey, maybe I`m making the world`s parking lots a little more beautiful with each seemingly redundant post :D

I guess that to me, it`s just not all *that* different from going over the same stuff with new students every semester.

citizen arcane
05-12-2008, 02:42 PM
With as many options that we have for APCs, wash media, drying media, polishes, LSPs etc. , etc. , etc. I believe w/ some research one can come up w/ 3 or so to choose from and try those. Then decide * what works best for them *. I mean really w/ the number of products out these days (do we really need 177 types of toothpaste) it`s daunting to choose when given so many choices!

eyezack87
05-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Haha, Detailing Bliss had this problem last week. Some guy named V.I.P.E.R. -.-"

Bert
05-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I guess that to me, it`s just not all *that* different from going over the same stuff with new students every semester.

Every semseter? Friends of mine who are professors complain of going over the same stuff every single week to lazy (don`t study, take notes, attend class, etc.) students.

spotter
05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
About 6 years ago when I first found this site I was overwhelmed with how much I didn`t know. After fooling around on here for a year or so and trying a few products I came to a simple solution....at least for me. I always found myself admiring Scottwax`s work, his posts helping others, and his process. For the last 5 years I let Scott do all of my testing and when he recommends a product or uses the same products over and over (beyond just his free samples) then I figure it is worth trying. He used QEW for years and then said ONR was better so when I ran out of QEW I went with ONR. He has said that Quickshine was his goto QD for quite a while and so along I tailed. He seems to like the Optimum polishes pretty well so I tried them ... and the beat goes on.

I have gotten to the point where I can be pretty satisfied with Optimum products all the way but I would suggest finding someone whose work you admire and see what products they are using. I am pretty sure that most of these guys could take any products you give them and make you drool when they finish....I am also pretty sure that the LSP is about the least important step in the whole process.

Rob Tomlin
05-12-2008, 09:20 PM
About 6 years ago when I first found this site I was overwhelmed with how much I didn`t know. After fooling around on here for a year or so and trying a few products I came to a simple solution....at least for me. I always found myself admiring Scottwax`s work, his posts helping others, and his process. For the last 5 years I let Scott do all of my testing and when he recommends a product or uses the same products over and over (beyond just his free samples) then I figure it is worth trying. He used QEW for years and then said ONR was better so when I ran out of QEW I went with ONR. He has said that Quickshine was his goto QD for quite a while and so along I tailed. He seems to like the Optimum polishes pretty well so I tried them ... and the beat goes on.

I have gotten to the point where I can be pretty satisfied with Optimum products all the way but I would suggest finding someone whose work you admire and see what products they are using. I am pretty sure that most of these guys could take any products you give them and make you drool when they finish....I am also pretty sure that the LSP is about the least important step in the whole process.

Nice post!

I really think you nailed it.

For people who don`t want to spend the extra money to try numerous different products for themselves, it makes perfect sense to take the recommendations of well respected members here such as Scott and others, and let them do the testing for you, as you say.

I agree with you on the Optimum line of products (thus far). I`ve tried Opti-Seal and ONR and have been extremely impressed. I just received some OID today (thanks Legacy99!) and will compare it to one of my other favorite manufacturer`s products (FK1`s 425). The purpose? So I can answer one of those "What`s the Best QD" threads! ;)

jayjacque
05-12-2008, 09:21 PM

Yeah me too, I`m listening a little closer to guys like Scott. They know their stuff. And many thanks to Accumulator. I followed his advice on the 1Z polish / Collinite combination on my 2 vehicles. I`m real pleased with the look and endurance.

victory
05-12-2008, 09:23 PM

This is dead on. The place to find out what products you want isn`t in the detailing product discussion forum, it`s in click & brag.

imported_ajbarnes
05-13-2008, 04:45 AM
This is dead on. The place to find out what products you want isn`t in the detailing product discussion forum, it`s in click & brag.

Was just getting ready to post the same thing. Results speak louder than words.

DM101
05-13-2008, 05:22 AM
To know what detailers favorite product is and their opinion is what this board is about. Yes alot has to do with opinion but detailers with enormous experience can give great advice. I myself have tried at least 10 different waxes and at least 6 different sealants.