PDA

View Full Version : MF after waxing?

russde
05-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Now this might not be true...but I read somewhere that using a MF cloth after waxing will remove fresh wax. Any truth to this?

I was about to make a purchase of some quality MF`s specifically for after an LSP but now I`m wondering if I should.

Comments?

imported_themightytimmah
05-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Nah. Wax bonds to the surface, and only time, abrasives, or solvents will remove it.

mjpowers728
05-11-2008, 08:32 PM
It was a while ago, but I read something similar. It was the product description for TOL`s Egyptian Cotton Towels, I believe, that said that the cotton towels should be used to remove wax residue because MF would remove the wax because MF is intended to remove dirt and grease.

I asked about it here and I was reassured that it was not true. Also, I`ve been using MF to remove sealants without any apparent ill effects. In short, I think the microfibers are fine for removing LSP residues.

russde
05-11-2008, 08:52 PM
It was a while ago, but I read something similar. It was the product description for TOL`s Egyptian Cotton Towels,

Yeah, that`s where i read it. Didn`t know if it was considered kosher to mention another site/vendor or not.

Good to know that it`s not accurate, thanks all.

Russ

imported_brianto
05-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Well, as stated, it will remove wax residue. You know, the haze thing when you apply the wax.

It`s because only thin layer of wax will bond to the surface.

DM101
05-12-2008, 05:34 AM
+1 Only a very small layer bonds. The rest is wiped off. That is why only a small amount is need to wax. I am a guilty overuser.

Nah. Wax bonds to the surface, and only time, abrasives, or solvents will remove it.

Macruz19
05-12-2008, 06:03 AM
+1 Only a very small layer bonds. The rest is wiped off. That is why only a small amount is need to wax. I am a guilty overuser.

Same here as far as using a little too much.

I think over time using a cotton or MF will eventually wipe off the protectant as time goes by for the LSP. That`s why in here, we pretty much apply at least 1 layer per month.

wannafbody
05-12-2008, 07:03 AM
I think MF are more aggressive than cotton. The fibers have hooks. That`s why they remove stubborn waxes easier than cotton loops.

Zet
05-13-2008, 04:27 PM
I think MF are more aggressive than cotton. The fibers have hooks. That`s why they remove stubborn waxes easier than cotton loops.

I think MF`s are more effective than cotton, because there are perhaps 100 times as many or more fibers per square inch. But since each fiber is thinner and softer than a cotton fiber, it makes the MF more gentle than a cotton towel at the same time.

Accumulator
05-14-2008, 09:28 AM
The argument I remember was that "suede-style" MF wouldn`t remove too much of the LSP as was thus better than "regular" MF, which would supposedly "clean all the wax right off".

I *do* like the suede-style MF for some LSPs (especially light sealants), but I did a good bit of side-by-side testing with various LSP buffing media, and I *NEVER* noticed any differences at all. None.

If you want to try something that might make a *TINY* little difference, try buffing of LSP residue by machine with MF bonnets. It can, IME, sometimes make a miniscule bit of difference due to all the additional burnishing. But again, side-by-side comparisons between suede-style and regular MF bonnets showed no differences at all. The suede-style ones just load up quicker if you put the LSP on thick.