View Full Version : Meguiar`s product question please

roadster
05-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Can some one tell me what the difference (if any) is between the:

M0916 #9 swirl remover

and the

m8232 #82 swirl free polish

?

From the pictures of the scales on the bottles, the both seem to read a number 3 on the scale?

Thanks,

Nic

:usa

SVR
05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Meguiars #9 has fillers in it whereas #82 does not

There is no point using #9 at all

roadster
05-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am getting ready to order now and will leave #9 alone. Out of curiousity, what are fillers that you speak of please?

This forum Rocks :clap: !!

Thanks again,

Nic

todd@bsaw
05-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Fillers are [typically] silicone that fills in the swirls so it appears swirl-free with a mirror finish. However, silicone will wash out over time to reveal the swirls again. The swirl-free polish will actually correct the paint and remove the swirls.

Since it does not contain silicone, #82 is also considered *Body Shop Safe* because silicone can cause havoc in a body shop setting.

roadster
05-11-2008, 07:37 PM
The education is greatly appreciated Todd....have a great evening sir.....

Nic

:usa

Wolf-Strong
05-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Fillers are [typically] silicone that fills in the swirls so it appears swirl-free with a mirror finish. However, silicone will wash out over time to reveal the swirls again. The swirl-free polish will actually correct the paint and remove the swirls.

Since it does not contain silicone, #82 is also considered *Body Shop Safe* because silicone can cause havoc in a body shop setting.

I`m not sure where you got that information, but M9 IS body shape safe. M82 was designed along with M80-85 as a `dedicated line` to make it easier for body shops to know which products to pick from. M9 is an older formula but still works fantastically well.

I have used M9 on many occasions, and it will in fact remove surface defects, not just hide them. I love the way M9 works and how easily it works in, the long duration, and easy wipe off. M82 is a more advanced formula, and is `just that little bit easier` type of thing. The big advantage of M9 is that you can buy it in small 16oz bottles in local retail stores making it readily available. Overall, M82 is probably a better polish, though I personally like having the smaller bottle size of M9 and I love how oily it is making it very easy to work with. M9 does have more polishing oils which will tend to give the surface a deeper look, though if you are finishing with a hand glaze anyways, it really doesn`t matter and you could use M82 as well.

This is obviously some paint in dire need of polishing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/wolfstrong/detailing/waxtest/IMG_0439.jpg

This is the paint after being polished out with M83; there is still some light swirls if you look. Not the greatest picture, so forgive that:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/wolfstrong/detailing/waxtest/IMG_0444.jpg

And finished up with M9 and a Isopropyl alcohol wipe down; much better picture to show just how well it finishes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/wolfstrong/detailing/waxtest/IMG_0443.jpg

imported_fishbonezken
05-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Just to be sure if you achieved the finish you desired, do a Isopropyl Alcohol (diluted with water 1:1) or a solvent (e.g. Prepsol) wipedown after polishing and evaluate the finish.:heelclick

kh765
05-12-2008, 04:14 AM
And finished up with M9 and a Isopropyl alcohol wipe down; much better picture to show just how well it finishes.

Just to be sure if you achieved the finish you desired, do a Isopropyl Alcohol (diluted with water 1:1) or a solvent (e.g. Prepsol) wipedown after polishing and evaluate the finish.:heelclick

I think he covered that. :up