PDA

View Full Version : LC puple foamed wool vs. LC orange pad

Pages : [1] 2 3

noooorb
05-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Can you guys give me some insight as to how these compare in terms of ease of use, cut? Thanks

Rob Tomlin
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Subscribed. :)

I have the purple wool coming, based on some opinions saying that it is a bit easy to work with than foam, and runs cooler. Looking forward to reading other responses to your question.

detaildoc
05-11-2008, 10:59 AM
The purple foamed wool has more cut, yet runs cooler, so there is less risk of burning the paint. It is also easier to maneuver with the foamed wool pad than with the orange or yellow pad. When using the foamed wool pad, I prefer to apply the product directly on the paint (a thin line) as opposed to on the pad; otherwise, I the foamed wool pad tends to cake more.

SuperBee364
05-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I`m with DetailDoc with one exception: I put the polish right on the pad.

There`s just no comparing these two pads, really. The purple foamed wool corrects better, faster, finishes down much finer, runs much cooler, and is easier to use. Orange foam can run really hot, likes to jump and skip (every jump and every skip is a new hologram), and demands just the right amount of polish to work well. My orange lc foam pads have been gathering dust since I bought my first purple foamed wool pad about a year ago.

Accumulator
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Ah... I like the sound of that. We`ll see how the foamed wool works on the M3 next time I work on it (sure dunno when *that* will be, but I really do need to resume work on it :o ). The orange pads were *not* exactly user-friendly IMO.

Rob Tomlin
05-11-2008, 11:19 AM
I`m with DetailDoc with one exception: I put the polish right on the pad.

There`s just no comparing these two pads, really. The purple foamed wool corrects better, faster, finishes down much finer, runs much cooler, and is easier to use. Orange foam can run really hot, likes to jump and skip (every jump and every skip is a new hologram), and demands just the right amount of polish to work well. My orange lc foam pads have been gathering dust since I bought my first purple foamed wool pad about a year ago.

I may very well regret not buying some wool finishing pads as well then.

I ordered two purple foamed pads, but thought I would just use my white LC pads for finishing (that I already have).

imported_ChrisNJ
05-11-2008, 11:24 AM
I`m still using the white foam to finish. But those pfw are super nice. Very easy to control imo. Great product :)

SuperBee364
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Looking at my post above I did generalize a bit more than I should. *Some* polishes work very well with orange LC foam, others do not. Last year, even Rydawg commented about how poorly the orange LC foam played with SIP. There were even reports from some guys getting smoke(!!) rising up from the orange pad when using SIP. But OTOH, Optimum polishes work *very* well with orange foam. HiTemp products do, too. But even the easiest-to-use with orange foam pales in comparison to how easy the purple foamed wool is. PFW (guess we should add that to the Secret Decoder Ring. :) ) plays well with anything you`d care to throw at it. SIP being a PITA? Use PFW, and it`ll play much better. SIP can still act up with PFW, but it`s still a lot easier to use with the PFW when it`s being picky than orange foam.

Accumulator
05-11-2008, 11:53 AM
SuperBee364- Well...I wasn`t all that thrilled with HT-EC/orange foam. I`m hoping the wool is a lot better.

SuperBee364
05-11-2008, 12:02 PM
It will be. I`d bet Rob`s Lotus on it. ;)

Edit: Accumulator, you`ll probably want to cut the HTEC with a bit of OP for use with the purple foamed wool. HTEC doesn`t have much in the way of working time (at least where I`m at), and the use of wool (any type, not just PFW) reduces the working time even more. To really get the best finish out of HTEC with PFW, you`ll want to cut it about 85/15 or thereabouts with OP.

Rob Tomlin
05-11-2008, 12:04 PM
It will be. I`d bet Rob`s Lotus on it. ;)

Hey! Can you do that?

:scared:

imported_Dave1
05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I like both pads but use them on different machines.....

I`ve given up using LC orange foam pads with my rotary. Too much grabbing and pulling for my taste. It`s like a battle just to finish a hood and seems to take a lot of fun out of the job. I prefer a LC white foam pad or LC purple wool when necessary.

Now for my PC, the LC orange foam pads are excellent. No problems at all.

Both have their place in my bag.

NCZ13
05-11-2008, 01:47 PM
im guessing i wouldnt use the foamed wool pad on my UDM?

imported_Denzil
05-11-2008, 01:53 PM
To be quite honest, I`m really surprised I`m holding onto my orange Propel. It`s just too dense and it`s always prone to skipping/hopping. For me it`s a no-brainer to use the LC PFW instead of the orange Propel given its benefits of more correction power, no skipping/hopping, and ability to finish to near a LSP-ready finish.

The LC PFW will pretty much replace the orange and probably the yellow Propel foam pads. I`m pretty much going to stray away from any compounding or strong paint correction with the foam pads. I`ll leave that to the Edge wool pads and the Metabo. ;)

wannafbody
05-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Anyone using a Foamed Wool pad on PC?