PDA

View Full Version : cleaning lower body panels

03silvaevo
05-11-2008, 08:57 AM
So what do you like to use when cleaning the panels under the door line, lower front bumper, and lower rear bumper? I soft brush or a wash mitt such as the sheep skin type?

Accumulator
05-11-2008, 10:00 AM
I generally just treat `em like any other body panel, but if they`re coated with Body Schutz/Gravel Guard I`ll sometimes do a more scrubbing-type job using a plush MF-covered sponge. But if it`s regular paint I try to be just as gentle as I`d be on the hood- those areas aren`t fun to polish so I try not to mar them.

IME lying on a creeper makes it a lot easier to do a thorough job.

On cars like the XJS have have intricate stuff like bumper brackets and exposed-mounting foglights, I use a paintbrush-style BHB to get into the nooks and crannies.

NickelPlated.45
05-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Grout sponges! I don`t like washing the entire car with them but i think they`re great for windows, rocker panels, bumpers and wheel wells.

citizen arcane
05-11-2008, 12:36 PM
When grit is present from driving in the rain I use Grout Sponges on the lower 2/3 of the body and the area below the hood. The top 1/3 gets done w/ wools and because the rear bumper on my Mustang is so prominent (does this bumper make me look fat?) I use wool on it as well.

Dealing w/ any area w/ grit present takes me 2 or 3 gentle passes using the GS.

detaildoc
05-11-2008, 12:59 PM
GS all the way.

dublifecrisis
05-11-2008, 01:13 PM
what about with ONR? I`ve just been saving those parts for last and either using my MF mitt OR dunk a MF towel in teh bucket to hit sideskirts, textured plastic and complex grill areas. My GTI with front euro plate has all sorts of little nooks and crannys. It`s working becase my OOS sponge stays clean all the way through.

motobuild
05-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Sure...you can use ONR. I think the OP was referring more to the type of wash hardware to use. Sounds like a Groute Sponge is a way to go. I personally use a wash mitt.

Accumulator
05-12-2008, 12:52 PM
For many nooks and crannies, the only way I can clean things is with BHBs that have long bristles to get into those tight spots. I need something long and flexible to reach in there so I simply don`t understand how people clean inside narrow, deep cavities/etc. with anything except a BHB (or maybe a bunch of long-handled swabs) :nixweiss I can`t squeeze a sponge very far through, say, a 3/8" gap and even a nice sheepskin mitt just doesn`t have long enough nap for this.

2002 Z06
05-12-2008, 12:54 PM
It depends on what you are cleaning off. If it is just some dirt and stuff I use the wash mit but if it is tar and things like that I will actually rub some "Goof Off" on it and then throw a little wax back over the surface I treated.

03silvaevo
05-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Good tips! So what does this grout sponge look like? Is it available at a place like Wal Mart or Autozone?

BigAl3
05-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Good tips! So what does this grout sponge look like? Is it available at a place like Wal Mart or Autozone?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/101657-better-grout-sponge.html