PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic chamois or Waffle Weave

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
08-09-2005, 09:41 AM
What do you feel is the better drying tool?

1) Synthetic
2) Waffle Weave

The Chee
08-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I have used both...definitely wwmf.. tiny waterspots are not my friends!!

Bob
08-09-2005, 09:58 AM
I have used both and I prefer WW as well.

klnyc
08-09-2005, 10:04 AM
I used both.

TrueDetailer
08-09-2005, 10:05 AM
For a pro 7 day a week detailer a synthetic chamios such as the absober I think it will work better then your mf thing or old fashion terry cloth towels. Using the absober gives you the ability to squeeze all the water out. How many towels or these mf things do you have to use? I don`t feel like carrying around 20 towels to dry a car.

mf towels will dry your car as well but i think they are more for the hobby detailer.

tubafeak
08-09-2005, 11:20 AM
WW for me!

ShineProDetails
08-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Absorber, But Patrick knows best in the detailing industry and he`s been detailing long than me or so he says, so I`m ordering 20 WW to be just like him! Thanks Patrick!

Waxxy
08-10-2005, 05:05 PM
I like the WW towels.....

Patrick
08-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Shine, let the pole speak for itself......You have one who shares your thoughts, so your not completely alone.
( I saw myself stooping to your level so have erased 4 lines of text) Let me taley up the votes for you real quick:
Synthetic: 2 (And I`m giving you Trues vote, because he appears to like them as well).
Waffle Weave:5

Truedetailer, normally 1 24x30, or 25x35 Waffle Weave is sufficient to dry most vehicles. A large SUV may require an additional small one in the other hand.

TrueDetailer
08-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Shine, let the pole speak for itself......You have one who shares your thoughts, so your not completely alone.
( I saw myself stooping to your level so have erased 4 lines of text) Let me taley up the votes for you real quick:
Synthetic: 2 (And I`m giving you Trues vote, because he appears to like them as well).
Waffle Weave:5

Truedetailer, normally 1 24x30, or 25x35 Waffle Weave is sufficient to dry most vehicles. A large SUV may require an additional small one in the other hand.

Patrick, where do i start? I`ve had my opinions with you already about the use of clay. I hope your not really going to take this pole seriously, you`ve had over 125 veiws and 9 people to reply to it. 3/4 of the people who post on here are not professional detailers. Oh and just like shine pro stated YOU`VE been doing this for so long and know whats BEST in the industry. Its detailers like you that i can`t stand. You set your mind on one product and it becomes the best thing to use and you try to push it on to everyone. guess what? both synthetic and your waffle weeve chamios do the same thing, they dry your car. Neither of them are better. its your personal preference as to what works for you. I have a feeling you started this thread becuase of my post in another thread concerning drying tools. Do you get that upset when someone else states their veiws and they don`t match yours? You shouldn`t be afraid to stoop to another ones level.. say what you have to say like i do.

Patrick
08-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Patrick, where do i start? I`ve had my opinions with you already about the use of clay. I hope your not really going to take this pole seriously, you`ve had over 125 veiws and 9 people to reply to it. 3/4 of the people who post on here are not professional detailers. Oh and just like shine pro stated YOU`VE been doing this for so long and know whats BEST in the industry. Its detailers like you that i can`t stand. You set your mind on one product and it becomes the best thing to use and you try to push it on to everyone. guess what? both synthetic and your waffle weeve chamios do the same thing, they dry your car. Neither of them are better. its your personal preference as to what works for you. I have a feeling you started this thread becuase of my post in another thread concerning drying tools. Do you get that upset when someone else states their veiws and they don`t match yours? You shouldn`t be afraid to stoop to another ones level.. say what you have to say like i do.
LOL, the drama continues ! Oh yeah, 75 cars for a piece of clay!
Maybe the other people havent used an Absorber before ? I dont know why theres been such little reply, but I did a little research on another form. Of 32 replies, in a WW vs. Absorber test, 3 backed up your Abosorber. n another WW vs. Absorber thread, with 26 replies, 5 stated they preferd the Absorber. (8 for 58). The original poster, when asking whats the best, did not refer to his position as a detailer, be it professional, or enthusiast (And Ive repaired many "so called profssional, works of art") . Not that the pro vs. enthusiasts opinion should matter. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, its usually a duck. As for you stating one is not better then the other, i disagree, again, nothing new between you and me. You detail one way, i detail one way, is on better then the other? Who knows.....
Do you get that upset when someone else states their veiws and they don`t match yours? LMAO !! All I said was "no", do a little review !

You shouldn`t be afraid to stoop to another ones level.. say what you have to say like i do Because what Im thinking,and permitted to say, are not the same. I like to keep threads open, and discussable. If one lets emotions become involved, it usually gets confrontational, and the thread closes.

Its detailers like you that i can`t stand. You set your mind on one product and it becomes the best thing to use and you try to push it on to everyone. In a recent thread you stated you use Auto Magic products.....What did you use before that and why didnt you stay with it? How did you discover the Absorber, and why didnt you continue to use the cotton towel or chamois which were really the only other two items used for drying when the Absorber first came out? Its closed minded detailers like you who are stuck in routine and rut, and bring me my business. I appreciate it.

Mr. Clean
08-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Patrick, you know I perceive you as a quality vendor of quality products. I am a satisfied customer. :bigups I am not taking sides in the controversy between you and another member but I must agree that your poll and the results seem to be flawed and don`t necessarily reflect any factual basis.

To name just a couple:

What one "feels" doesn`t relate to what is best. Have all participants used both types of products?

My response (I cast no vote) to the inquiry is neither and either. To qualify my repsonse, over the years I have used several WW products including each of yours and several of the synthetic chamois (as well as the real deal). None of the options have represented a "perfect" drying option for me. The "best" option for me is actually the use of both tools in combination. Using the synthetic to eliminate the largest portion of the water, followed by a WW to pick up any remaining trails.

For the full-time professional detailer, or even the enthusiast which works on multiple vehicles in succession, you must either invest in many WW or an "absorber" and a few WW. The second option is the less expensive.

The synthetics excel (now that`s a pun that Patrick can enjoy :D) because they can be wrung out enough to move from one vehicle to the next. Once a WW is wet, it stays that way. You can wring it out, but it will not be nearly as effective as the synthetic. Synthetics are more durable than WW. Textiles (even the best) wear thin after continued use. I have gotten many years service from my chamois (synthetic and natural).

Maybe there is a learning curve to use the synthetics safely, but learning to use one is well worth any time spent doing so.

Patrick
08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Kent, agreed: However, this individuals question has mirrored many other detailers curiosities i.e. "what is the best sealant, wax, wash, microfiber, QD etc". He gave 2 choices, i took the path Im most comfortable with, being the WW, and replied NO to the Synthetic. Obviously what context that "NO" was delivered in, and received in, are contrary.
Poles? Kent, theres nothing scientific about them, course I didnt think we were looking for lab results either. Its simply used as a tool to evaluate personal preferences. Usually when personal preferences swing to one side or another, one can assume a product is either value priced and provides quality, or does not provide quality and value, for the money spent. Hence the reason the pole was even started. All Im trying to establish with the resources available to me, is that WW`s are the prefered drying tool.
Now, as for personal attacks, I have refrained up to this point. Kent you know me better, I never take cheap shots at anyone, and its reasonable to expect the same here at DC. If its not, I dont need to be here any longer.

Absorber, But Patrick knows best in the detailing industry and he`s been detailing long than me or so he says

Others need to realize this is a forum where information is shared, not where you bite newbies heads off for asking a simple question. And when you answer the question make sure your answer isnt wrong.

Or is it just anal/weekend detailers like yourself who chit chat on the net and know whats best...heh.

Your as much of a newbie as the guy who posted....

Kent, whats the "real" problem here? I think its someone who sits a little high on his horse and is unwilling to accept change or try something new, or perhaps has something personal against me.
Whatever method these two individuals accpet as their favored is fine with me.
Oh, and one more thing, for those of you who feel you cant "wring" out a waffle weave.........why? Fold it, roll it, wring it ! I do it when needed! Maybe the towel your using it too large to wring? Or, maybe the towel your using is too small. One misonception about the waffle weave is its a miracle towel, well, its not. As Mr Clean has stated, theres no one perfect towel. And as several have already stated, I also follow up with an additional smaller, lighter weight towel in the opposite hand.

Patrick, you know I perceive you as a quality vendor of quality products. I am a satisfied customer. :bigups I am not taking sides in the controversy between you and another member but I must agree that your poll and the results seem to be flawed and don`t necessarily reflect any factual basis.

To name just a couple:

What one "feels" doesn`t relate to what is best. Have all participants used both types of products?

My response (I cast no vote) to the inquiry is neither and either. To qualify my repsonse, over the years I have used several WW products including each of yours and several of the synthetic chamois (as well as the real deal). None of the options have represented a "perfect" drying option for me. The "best" option for me is actually the use of both tools in combination. Using the synthetic to eliminate the largest portion of the water, followed by a WW to pick up any remaining trails.

For the full-time professional detailer, or even the enthusiast which works on multiple vehicles in succession, you must either invest in many WW or an "absorber" and a few WW. The second option is the less expensive.

The synthetics excel (now that`s a pun that Patrick can enjoy :D) because they can be wrung out enough to move from one vehicle to the next. Once a WW is wet, it stays that way. You can wring it out, but it will not be nearly as effective as the synthetic. Synthetics are more durable than WW. Textiles (even the best) wear thin after continued use. I have gotten many years service from my chamois (synthetic and natural).

Maybe there is a learning curve to use the synthetics safely, but learning to use one is well worth any time spent doing so.

jaybs02
08-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Maybe CharlesW was right in another thread and the heat is starting to get to people.

A simple question was asked.
What do you feel is the better drying tool?

1) Synthetic
2) Waffle Weave

There is no right or wrong answer. It`s a matter of personal prefference, as is many things seem to be regarding detailing and products, it`s what works best for each individual.

For me I like a WW, if you asked me the same question 2 years ago I would have said a soft thick cotton towel.
I have never use a synthetic but I did use a genuine Chamois (which I didn`t care for). But thats just me, it may work for for everyone else.

So chalk up one more for WW and lets move forward on the thread

"J"

Mr. Clean
08-11-2005, 06:14 PM
...Now, as for personal attacks, I have refrained up to this point. Kent you know me better, ...
Patrick, yes I do. :bigups

...Oh, and one more thing, for those of you who feel you cant "wring" out a waffle weave.........why? Fold it, roll it, wring it ! I do it when needed! Maybe the towel your using it too large to wring? Or, maybe the towel your using is too small. ... Of course you can wring it out, but the product is no longer as effective as a similarly wrung out synthetic. I do have a tidy assortment of WW towels in varying sizes (you probably have intimate knowledge of many of the ones in my possession :D ). IMO, the size of the towel does not factor into this. It is quite simply the difference between the two products (WW / Synthetic chamois) which makes one perform better after saturation.

...I have never use a synthetic but I did use a genuine Chamois This response illustrates one of my points. In a poll such as this, it just doesn’t make sense to me to have someone voting on a topic where they don’t have product knowledge of both products. Not that jaybs95`s opinion shouldn`t be considered, but it appears someone is going to use the results of this poll to try establish a one better than another product comparison. If you can`t compare, how can you vote?

I will continue to use both synthetic chamois and waffle weave products for drying purposes.