PDA

View Full Version : Edge 2K Finishing Wool Part Number...

SuperBee364
05-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Just to confuse the issue even more, Edge has white wool available in two different flavors: one is a twisted wool heavy compounding pad, the other is a velvety soft, non-twisted finishing pad with zero bite. Some of you might know that the latter is one of my very favorite pads. ;)

To make matters worse, AG doesn`t have the six inch white finishing wool available on their web site. You have to call and order it from them. Apparently, there`s only one person there that knows about this. However, I`m not sure that he`s sending out the right pads.

If you receive your "white finishing wool", and it is twisted (looks kinda like yarn), they sent you the wrong ones. The correct finishing wool is *not* twisted. It looks alot like a purple foamed wool pad as far as the fibers are concerned. It should look like the pad in the link below. Very fluffy looking and not twisted.

Note that this confusion issue only concerns the six inch pads, not the eight inch. All of the Edge`s eight inch wool pads can be ordered from the Geek`s web page; you don`t have to call them to get the white finishing wool.

Just today, I received two new six inch finishing pads from edgepadsonline.com. This link E2K Lambs Wool 6" Final Finish (http://www.edgepadsonline.com/e2k-lambs-wool-6quot-final-fini26.html) is the correct one for the finishing wool. I would recommend buying from that link, as you will be sure to get the finishing wool and not the compounding wool. Part number W624.

CAUTION: Finishing wool rant follows! If you`re totally sick of Supe`s finishing wool rant, stop reading now!

I know I`m beating a dead horse, but you guys just can`t believe how well the finishing wool does with 106ff. I think even TH0001 might think twice about finishing with wool if he tried that combo. On hard paint, there is little discernible difference between finishing with the white wool or a black LC foam. On soft and very soft clears, the white wool finishes well with FPII, but you would be better off with a foam finishing pad. Note that on the vast majority of cars I do, I`m able to finish off so well with the white wool that it`s just not worth the time to try and get any more improvement with a finishing foam and PO85RD. Every car is different, though; sometimes foam will finish noticeably better, other times it ties with wool. Think of it this way... if you`re happy with the look you get when you finish with white LC foam, you`ll be more than happy with the look you get when finishing with the wool.

The thing that I absolutely love about the white wool is that it has correction power similar to white LC foam, but finishes better. It also performs that correction at the speed of wool, and with wool`s cool touch. It is the safest pad you could ever finish with.

Edit: "But wait, Supe, you just contradicted yourself! Earlier you said this pad has no bite!" Well, yeah, I did, but...The bite of the wool pad comes from two things. First, it has a *huge* amount of surface area to it. More surface area equals more suface contact between the polish and the paint, which equals more power from the polish. Second, even the very softest wool (which this is), is going to have a very small amount of bite to it. That`s why using a highly lubricated polish like 106 or 85rd is so important. The better the pad is lubed, the better it will finish off. End of Edit.

The most important thing about using the white finishing wool is the polish you use with it. PO106FF and PO85RD have some of the best lubricants in them of any polish. Use them with the white wool for the very finest results. FPII is the best I`ve used so far for using the white wool with soft clear. So far, I`ve had mixed results with Ultrafina and the white wool. Jury is still out on that one. Ultrafina requires a buffing technique much different than that of 106, so I`m betting it`s just my technique that I need to work on to get better results. I had my 106 technique so down pat and engrained in my head that I`m having a hard time adjusting to the Ultrafina.

I *highly* recommend the white finishing wool, especially for guys that are new to the rotary. It runs so much cooler (safer) than foam, and won`t instantly destroy any trim pieces you should touch with it.

I would *love* to hear other`s experiences with white finishing wool, both positive and negative. Please feel free to bash/boast about white finishing wool in this thread.

imported_themightytimmah
05-09-2008, 11:37 AM
SuperBee - I`d love to hear what you think about this pad and M105. I`m using LC white foam and M105 at the moment for most of my swirl removal, but there`s always room for a little more cut.

imported_shine
05-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I will be getting my shipment of wool from AG today. I`ll report here as to whether they sent me the finishing or compounding white pads.

SuperBee364
05-09-2008, 11:47 AM
SuperBee - I`d love to hear what you think about this pad and M105. I`m using LC white foam and M105 at the moment for most of my swirl removal, but there`s always room for a little more cut.

That sounds like a *very* good combination. The car I`m doing this weekend will be perfect for trying this out on.

Bert
05-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Just to confuse the issue even more, Edge has white wool available in two different flavors: one is a twisted wool heavy compounding pad, the other is a velvety soft, non-twisted finishing pad with zero bite. Some of you might know that the latter is one of my very favorite pads. ;)

To make matters worse, AG doesn`t have the six inch white finishing wool available on their web site. You have to call and order it from them. Apparently, there`s only one person there that knows about this. However, I`m not sure that he`s sending out the right pads.

If you receive your "white finishing wool", and it is twisted (looks kinda like yarn), they sent you the wrong ones. The correct finishing wool is *not* twisted. It looks alot like a purple foamed wool pad as far as the fibers are concerned. It should look like the pad in the link below. Very fluffy looking and not twisted.

Note that this confusion issue only concerns the six inch pads, not the eight inch. All of the Edge`s eight inch wool pads can be ordered from the Geek`s web page; you don`t have to call them to get the white finishing wool.

Just today, I received two new six inch finishing pads from edgepadsonline.com. This link E2K Lambs Wool 6" Final Finish (http://www.edgepadsonline.com/e2k-lambs-wool-6quot-final-fini26.html) is the correct one for the finishing wool. I would recommend buying from that link, as you will be sure to get the finishing wool and not the compounding wool. Part number W624.

CAUTION: Finishing wool rant follows! If you`re totally sick of Supe`s finishing wool rant, stop reading now!

I know I`m beating a dead horse, but you guys just can`t believe how well the finishing wool does with 106ff. I think even TH0001 might think twice about finishing with wool if he tried that combo. On hard paint, there is little discernible difference between finishing with the white wool or a black LC foam. On soft and very soft clears, the white wool finishes well with FPII, but you would be better off with a foam finishing pad. Note that on the vast majority of cars I do, I`m able to finish off so well with the white wool that it`s just not worth the time to try and get any more improvement with a finishing foam and PO85RD. Every car is different, though; sometimes foam will finish noticeably better, other times it ties with wool. Think of it this way... if you`re happy with the look you get when you finish with white LC foam, you`ll be more than happy with the look you get when finishing with the wool.

The thing that I absolutely love about the white wool is that it has correction power similar to white LC foam, but finishes better. It also performs that correction at the speed of wool, and with wool`s cool touch. It is the safest pad you could ever finish with.

Edit: "But wait, Supe, you just contradicted yourself! Earlier you said this pad has no bite!" Well, yeah, I did, but...The bite of the wool pad comes from two things. First, it has a *huge* amount of surface area to it. More surface area equals more suface contact between the polish and the paint, which equals more power from the polish. Second, even the very softest wool (which this is), is going to have a very small amount of bite to it. That`s why using a highly lubricated polish like 106 or 85rd is so important. The better the pad is lubed, the better it will finish off. End of Edit.

The most important thing about using the white finishing wool is the polish you use with it. PO106FF and PO85RD have some of the best lubricants in them of any polish. Use them with the white wool for the very finest results. FPII is the best I`ve used so far for using the white wool with soft clear. So far, I`ve had mixed results with Ultrafina and the white wool. Jury is still out on that one. Ultrafina requires a buffing technique much different than that of 106, so I`m betting it`s just my technique that I need to work on to get better results. I had my 106 technique so down pat and engrained in my head that I`m having a hard time adjusting to the Ultrafina.

I *highly* recommend the white finishing wool, especially for guys that are new to the rotary. It runs so much cooler (safer) than foam, and won`t instantly destroy any trim pieces you should touch with it.

I would *love* to hear other`s experiences with white finishing wool, both positive and negative. Please feel free to bash/boast about white finishing wool in this thread.

SB, I truly admire your passion for perfection in detailing. That and your rants are cracking me up.:D

imported_shine
05-19-2008, 09:20 AM

Woohoo, just got my white wool today, and it`s the fluffy stuff. :heelclick

Thanks for the wool info.

SuperBee364
05-19-2008, 09:42 AM
SB, I truly admire your passion for perfection in detailing. That and your rants are cracking me up.:D

:o I just can`t help it! :)

Woohoo, just got my white wool today, and it`s the fluffy stuff. :heelclick

Thanks for the wool info.

Glad they got ya the right one.. now don`t just sit there at the keyboard, go buff something with it! :D

Accumulator
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
.. AG doesn`t have the six inch white finishing wool available on their web site. You have to call and order it from them. Apparently, there`s only one person there that knows about this..

And if you talk to the wrong person, as I apparently did, you`ll be told that they simply don`t sell the 6" white wool pads. No, that`s not a rant at AG as I seem to run into clueless customer-service people everywhere :rolleyes:

Pats300zx
05-19-2008, 12:19 PM
What is a good white wool pad to use that is not part of the Edge 2K system?? I am looking for a white wool pad but really don`t want to go with the Edge Adapter.

SuperBee364
05-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Pat, I`ve never seen anyone produce a finishing wool pad except for Edge. :nixweiss

imported_Denzil
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
What is a good white wool pad to use that is not part of the Edge 2K system?? I am looking for a white wool pad but really don`t want to go with the Edge Adapter.

Convert Pat, CONVERT! Just kidding buddy.

As Supe said, I haven`t recognized any other manufacturers that make the white wool finishing pad.

holland_patrick
05-20-2008, 01:14 PM

Classic 8" Lambs Wool - Ultrafine Finish (http://edgepadsonline.com/classic-8quot-lambs-wool--ultrafine-finis8.html)

SuperBee364
05-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Classic 8" Lambs Wool - Ultrafine Finish (http://edgepadsonline.com/classic-8quot-lambs-wool--ultrafine-finis8.html)

Good find! :woot: