PDA

View Full Version : Opti Seal Cure Time

Pages : [1] 2

sirgounder
05-08-2008, 07:37 PM
How long do I have to wait until I can top Opti Seal with something else? I was thinking of topping Opti Seal with 845IW, or should it be the other way around with 845IW first?

Shuskan3
05-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I usually wait atleast 30 minutes before layering Opti-Seal, but I like to wash the car before I top it with another product.

imported_themightytimmah
05-08-2008, 07:44 PM
OS first, I`ve waited as little as 15 minutes between coats of OS, and 45 minutes before topping with a `nuba, with no ill effects. I think the official word from Optimum is a bit longer though.

You can go both ways with the topping, but 845 over OS is generally preferred. To use OS over 845, its necessary to wash first, or the oily nature of 845 will streak the heck out of OS.

I would think about the look you want before topping - on a black car, 845 improves the look a lot, however on metallic or pearl cars I find that 845 really knocks down the flake pop, while bringing out the color and wetness of the basecoat.

bcwang
05-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Opti-seal seriously can be layered so soon? With upgp the recommended wait is 12 hours. Even with a free weekend and a clean car, I can only get in 2 layers trying to avoid the evening dew.

slick7
09-03-2008, 09:59 PM
12 hours is what I`d do and I`d top with 845 after Opti-Seal not the other way around... I`m sure you could do it both ways but the solvents in 845 could affect the Opti-Seal if you only wait 30 mins

I`m not too sure but remember reading 12 hours is what the suggested curing time

heatgain
09-04-2008, 03:27 AM
I read on the Optimum forum it`s 12 hours. Someone from Optimum wrote that one could layer it sooner, but that would make it more like putting on a thick coat, not 2 coats.

kaval
09-04-2008, 05:39 AM
I`ve layered 5 coats of Opti-seal 25 minutes apart. No apparent issues.

wannafbody
09-04-2008, 08:02 AM
I`d think that applying another layer of any polymer product over one that hadn`t fully cured would at least partially remove the uncured layer. If the solvents in the bottle are strong enough to keep the product liquid why wouldn`t those same solvents reliquify uncured polymers on a car?

Mindflux
09-04-2008, 08:32 AM

How would you even tell you had 5 layers of a WOWA on the car?

:nervous:

heatgain
09-04-2008, 09:07 AM

That`s what I mean. What you really have is 1 layer but 5 times thicker.

That being said, what would be the difference in looks or durability if you did that, or let each layer cure 12 hours before putting on another layer?

I don`t know.

Scottwax
09-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I usually put on 2 coats of OS about 15 minutes apart to ensure complete coverage. OS seems at least partially cured at that point, the paint is noticably slicker and the second coat literally glides on. I`d wait a full 24 hours before applying a wax over it.

heatgain
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I usually put on 2 coats of OS about 15 minutes apart to ensure complete coverage. OS seems at least partially cured at that point, the paint is noticably slicker and the second coat literally glides on. I`d wait a full 24 hours before applying a wax over it.

Scott,

I`m assuming we`re talking of a customer`s car. With the 2 coats 15 minutes apart, it looks good? Looks fantastic? What about durability?

I ask because I bought a bottle and haven`t used it yet. I`ve used UPGP for customers, but I`ve kept their car for long enough between layers (12 hours) to put at least 2 layers on.

Scottwax
09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Scott,

I`m assuming we`re talking of a customer`s car. With the 2 coats 15 minutes apart, it looks good? Looks fantastic? What about durability?

I ask because I bought a bottle and haven`t used it yet. I`ve used UPGP for customers, but I`ve kept their car for long enough between layers (12 hours) to put at least 2 layers on.

My own and customer`s cars. Looks very wet, has held up on customer`s cars 6-8 months. These are cars my customers wash, either by hand, tunnel wash or touchless. I feel it is best to reapply about every 4 months for maximum protection. Just like with any product, even if it still there after several months, it probably isn`t protecting as well as a fresh coat.

shadow85
09-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Would it be bad to top it with a wax with some cleaner in it (NXT). If it is, in this case, what would be the recommended wait time as oppose to 30min.

Scottwax
09-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Would it be bad to top it with a wax with some cleaner in it (NXT). If it is, in this case, what would be the recommended wait time as oppose to 30min.

Top NXT with OS instead. Works very well.