PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Hand Glaze 3M

Pages : [1] 2

Danspeed1
05-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Found a brand new body shop sized bottle of this... about a year old... in the basement. Can`t even remember where I got it. I don`t seem much talk about this stuff online. What should I so with it? Is it good for anything or outdated next to all the other glazes that are out now?

DG

Legacy
05-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Found a brand new body shop sized bottle of this... about a year old... in the basement. Can`t even remember where I got it. I don`t seem much talk about this stuff online. What should I so with it? Is it good for anything or outdated next to all the other glazes that are out now?

DGTry it out and let us know! Glaze should be good, just shake well.

phamkl
05-08-2008, 01:59 AM
I think this one is one of the heaviest in fillers. I`d get some if I had money to burn; black daily drivers aren`t easy to live with.

Way2SSlow
05-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Dont apply too much of it or you will NEVER use it again. I`ve used it once, and I was just helping a friend. I kinda knew what was going to happen when I saw him lather it on so thick, but man it was a PITA to get off. Thin for the win. It looks pretty good, but compared to something like the new Poorboy`s glazes, it`s on the harder side of glazes to remove IMO.

BobD
05-08-2008, 06:26 AM
It`s an excellent filling glaze. I`ve used it for years and love it. Top it with a nice paste wax and it`ll look great. Just don`t expect it to last a long time. I use it most daily driven cars that might be going to a show for the weekend, people that want their car to look good to sell it or turn in a lease and don`t want to pay for paint correction, and so on.

raadkins16
05-08-2008, 06:33 AM
I enjoy using it as well. Before I got the rotary I had some etched in water spots that were only noticeable on my metallic grey Lexus from certain angles. My regimen was to put on the 3m imperial hand glaze in the etched areas and Megs #16 paste wax on top. I actually got pretty good durability from it, and was happy with the results look wise. If you have a car that has swirls or water spots and don`t want to do a full correction, I think it is a great product for filling! Remember, the thinner the better!

Accumulator
05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Back when I was just lurking here (maybe 2000 or so) IHG topped with Blitz wax was quite popular. IMO stuff that worked then will still work just as well now; newer products might have advantages, but that doesn`t mean the older stuff doesn`t work OK too.

Danspeed1
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the advice guys. The bottle is huge so it will probably take me about 10 years to use it. Right now I am not too keen on using glazes after my last detail. I didn`t realize that the fillers in glaze don`t last more than a week outside... swirls came back :sadpace:! But since its a hand glaze it might be good to fill the swirls and glaze the paint before shows and such.

Thanks,

DG

Spilchy
05-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Back when I was just lurking here (maybe 2000 or so) IHG topped with Blitz wax was quite popular. IMO stuff that worked then will still work just as well now; newer products might have advantages, but that doesn`t mean the older stuff doesn`t work OK too.

I take delivery on my new car tomorrow night and have been debating between Blitz or 3M Perfect-It III Show Car paste as the LSP. Those are two that nobody mentions here :chuckle:

FWIW, the guys at Collinite use IHG under their waxes.

I used it years ago and remembered how well it filled but how hard it was to remove; sort of like Meguiar`s #7. Thin is best with two towels for removal. One to "break" the film of the oily glaze and the other to "mop" it up and wipe clean. Towels with a little "bite" works great. If you have old skool, genuine 100% cotton terry towels, that would be ideal.

raadkins16
05-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I had no problem removing the IHG, and would recommend a thin layer that will be just as effective as a thick layer that is impossible to remove and requires major buffing.

imported_themightytimmah
05-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I take delivery on my new car tomorrow night and have been debating between Blitz or 3M Perfect-It III Show Car paste as the LSP. Those are two that nobody mentions here :chuckle:

Blitz! Great stuff, if it wasn`t from an "old-school" manufacturer, it would probably get more attention, but that stuff really does look great and last forever.

PFIII is just another generic paste to me, might as well be Mother`s or Megs yellow paste.

DaGonz
05-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I ended up polishing a dark Green BMW Z3 by hand when my PC and my Makita both crapped out the same day. :hairpull:wall:furious: I started with Sonus Swirlbuster polish, then followed with 3M IHG and topped it off with Collonite 854IW.

The owner of the car was very happy with thw way her "baby" looked whern she came to get it! :spot

Unfortnauely.. the batteries in my digicam were dead.... :angry

citizen arcane
05-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I`ve used it in the past and still have an industrial sized bottle from about 4 years ago. As I remember it it was a great glaze but a major PITA to remove. Apply and remove panel by panel. If memory serves me correctly it left some heavy hazing I had to remove w/ QD.

Since I have a black DD I may revisit it topped w/ Collinite.

On a side note: what`s the shelf life of stuff like this?

Clean Dean
05-08-2008, 08:18 PM
themightytimmah,

Blitz! Great stuff, if it wasn`t from an "old-school" manufacturer, it would probably get more attention, but that stuff really does look great and last forever.

I agree !!! Great easy on easy off non-cleaner carnuba. I used it religiously on my black Infiniti I30 back in the day and was very happy with the results. With the right marketing company, who knows maybe it could be the next $1k+ wax.

As for 3M`s IHG. It has its benefits for those who are showing a car that is in need of paint correction. Other than that, I stay away from fillers.

Super_Herb
05-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Ahhh, memories......:)

I still have my half full tin of Blitz and bottle of IHG from back when it was a popular combo here as Accumulator mentioned. I wonder how it compares to the RMG/Natty`s Blue that I was hooked on last summer. Maybe I`ll have to give it a try.

From my recollection, while Blitz is a great wax, it attracts dust like a mofo. I think I`ll have to dust it off and give it a try again.