PDA

View Full Version : VNBP Day and How the Flex Rotary came through with 6.5 inch pads

IanB
05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
`Victory over Night Blue Pearl Day`

Since my obsession with my most recent audi started, I realized I would need to keep her in `good` condition. Problem is, when I found out what good condition meant in the detailing forums, I was blown away by how hard it was to achieve on my current car. PC, 4" pads, all types of polishes, nothing was getting it done. I struggled pretty hard for about 10 months to find something that wasn`t as time consuming as 8+ passes with the PC with 1z Extra to correct a moderately swirled 1.5x1.5 area of my trunk.

This spring, I left my PC behind and went on to the rotary. I got the Flex 3403 from Phil because of it`s `lightness` after trying out the makita, I would have gotten that instead. However, the flex 3403 even with it`s 1100 rpm start speed was perfectly fine. So, I try out every polish I have (I have samples of about 8, SIP, M105, 1z Extra, SFX1 by sonus, OC, OP, 1z PP, 106FA, FPII) I was still unable to get the paint corrected 99-100% in a reasonable time. It took me 5 hrs to correct the hood and front fenders to about 80%. The problem I found was the 4" pads I was using (not wanting to buy more pads).

Then, VNBP Day occurred. Here is the process that made the following pictures possible.

1. Power wash car for a rinse

2. Quick ONR wipe down of hood to prepare for polishing (swirls were already there, no reason to be careful imo)

3. All-Prep paint prep Wipe down (this stuff is awesome! from Walmart at 1.79 a liter, it removes all LSP`s on your paint, and it really does!! Forget IPA)

4. Slap your 6.5 inch Orange LC pad onto the Rotary and apply a circle of SIP polish.

5. spread out polish with trigger on rotary using rotary with a slight `pick up the bead` tilt

6. 1100 rpm`s for 1 pass, 1500 rpms for 5 or 6 passes, 1200 rpm for 1 pass 1100 rpm 1 pass. (make sure you are in a good sized 2x2 area, smaller area will generate to much heat)

7. Prep-All wipe down, and inspect for swirls. None = go to 106FA for the burnished look. Other wise repeat 4-6 steps.

8. Slap your 6.5 inch White LC pad onto the rotary, add 106FA, then polish with the same process as above, except you only need 1500 rpm for 2 passes. Then follow the same zenith technique.

9. Prep-All wipe down. Looks good?

10. LSP of your choice. (Mine is Victoria Collectors Wax). Finished pictures.

Here is what I was up against...sad...I know...

http://stillmaninteriors.netfirms.com/images/Car%201Z%20024.jpg

Full correction...

http://stillmaninteriors.netfirms.com/images/audi%20paint%20002.jpg

Some people like tree`s

http://stillmaninteriors.netfirms.com/images/audi%20paint%20003.jpg

Some people like full trunk with full sun. No holograms here folks.

http://stillmaninteriors.netfirms.com/images/audi%20paint%20004.jpg

SuperBee364
05-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Very nicely done! Good victory over that rock hard Audi paint!:2thumbs:

TTWAGN
05-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Why did you write that you would have purchased the Makita buffer after trying it?

How is the Makita rotary better than the Flex 3403?

Button positioning?

IanB
05-08-2008, 06:16 AM
I would say that in general the makita was more comfortable. (Although that may have been the backing plate that particular model had on). It ran at slower speed so it was easier to spread polish, and it was quieter than the 3403 by a noticeable amount. Also, it`s even cheaper! The weight actually helps you on the flat panels, as it applies the pressure for you, and you can run larger 8" pads if you like.

However, my flex is nice because the trigger positioning and the speed adjustment are SUPER nice, much better than the makita, to each his own.

IB

SuperBee364
05-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I have a 3403 too, and after working with it for about a month, I wouldn`t trade it for any other buffer on the market.

Bert
05-08-2008, 09:23 AM
1. Power wash car for a rinse

2. Quick ONR wipe down of hood to prepare for polishing (swirls were already there, no reason to be careful imo)

3. All-Prep paint prep Wipe down (this stuff is awesome! from Walmart at 1.79 a liter, it removes all LSP`s on your paint, and it really does!! Forget IPA)

4. Slap your 6.5 inch Orange LC pad onto the Rotary and apply a circle of SIP polish.

5. spread out polish with trigger on rotary using rotary with a slight `pick up the bead` tilt

6. 1100 rpm`s for 1 pass, 1500 rpms for 5 or 6 passes, 1200 rpm for 1 pass 1100 rpm 1 pass. (make sure you are in a good sized 2x2 area, smaller area will generate to much heat)

7. Prep-All wipe down, and inspect for swirls. None = go to 106FA for the burnished look. Other wise repeat 4-6 steps.

8. Slap your 6.5 inch White LC pad onto the rotary, add 106FA, then polish with the same process as above, except you only need 1500 rpm for 2 passes. Then follow the same zenith technique.

9. Prep-All wipe down. Looks good?

10. LSP of your choice. (Mine is Victoria Collectors Wax). Finished pictures.

What part of Walmart is the All Prep located?

Eliot Ness
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
What part of Walmart is the All Prep located?Around here it`s located in the auto section with the Bondo, touch-up paints, etc..

IanB
05-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Walmart is a big store, but honestly, you need to find a REALLY big Walmart. The super Walmart might be best. They carried everything in the one I found, wetsand paper and all. You need one that carries automotive paint section (I guess that is what you would call it) and then there are shelves with a bunch of cleaners search till you find the one labeled All-Prep or Prep-All, can`t remember which is which.

Good luck

IB