PDA

View Full Version : Help me get with the times!!!

imported_truzoom
05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Hello all,

I haven`t really been keeping up with all the new products for detailing nowadays. I have a PC with some Propel pads from a few years ago, but I`m finding that my arsenal of polishes and compounds can`t really tackle the condition of the paint on my vehicle anymore. I had a lot of time back in HS to keep my truck looking nice, but these past 4 years of college have really been hell on the paint.

A while back I used some Optimum Hyper Compound to successfully clean up some swirls on my paint, but I still had a considerable amount of deep scratches that weren`t even touched and I had serious micromarring left.

Basically, I want to get up to speed with a set of pads and products that I can use with my PC to get my paint looking great again.

My main issue is deep scratches, micromarring, and some areas where I used touch up paint so I need to polish them down to blend in with the rest of the panel.

I want to stick with my PC and my current waxes. I just have no idea what I should get now since there are a lot more polishes and foam pads available.

Thanks!

BigAl3
05-05-2008, 01:57 PM
i`m sure many will chime in with their recommendations, but i`m sure menzerna SIP/106FF are going to be what you`re looking for, as well as some smaller pads...

TTWAGN
05-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Scratches?

Hmm 4inch cutting pads would be the only option here.

Using that with your current hyper compound would be a much better job with the scratches.

Meguiars m105 is a good option, cuts fast and strong, works great with a PC. It will make sure work of the scratches you have, gives the PC enough cut that usually would require a rotary.

3M`s ultrafina is good, so is Menzerna`s 106F.

Step 1: wash

Step 2: clay

Step 3: Megauisr M105 with 4inch pad on scratches only.

Step 4: Meguiars M105 with a polishing pad over the entire car to remove all swirls

Step 5: 3M ultrafina with polishing pad over the entire car to remove marring.

What size/type are your current pads. You could probably use them and just get a couple 4inch pads for the scratches?

M105 is similar to hyper compound in strength but finishes much better.

imported_truzoom
05-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Scratches?

Hmm 4inch cutting pads would be the only option here.

Using that with your current hyper compound would be a much better job with the scratches.

Meguiars m105 is a good option, cuts fast and strong, works great with a PC. It will make sure work of the scratches you have, gives the PC enough cut that usually would require a rotary.

3M`s ultrafina is good, so is Menzerna`s 106F.

Step 1: wash

Step 2: clay

Step 3: Megauisr M105 with 4inch pad on scratches only.

Step 4: Meguiars M105 with a polishing pad over the entire car to remove all swirls

Step 5: 3M ultrafina with polishing pad over the entire car to remove marring.

What size/type are your current pads. You could probably use them and just get a couple 4inch pads for the scratches?

M105 is similar to hyper compound in strength but finishes much better.

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. So the 105 won`t finish clean enough to go to wax?

TTWAGN
05-05-2008, 10:33 PM
On most paints it M105 wont finish perfect.

But with a polishing pad and hard paint a few people have gone straight to a wax after M105.

You`ll always get better results by stepping down to a finer polish.

Its like using sandpaper on wood. 200 grit doesn`t finish smooth. You then use 400 grit to remove the 200 grit scratches. Then 800 grit to remove the 400 grit scratches. So the scratches get smaller and smaller.

This is the same as car compounds, polishes. You have small abrasives in a sultion/liquid that remove small amounts of paint by putting fine scratches into the surface. The more aggressive the compound the more paint is removed so bigger the scratches are. Going to a finer polish will then reduce the size of the scratches giving a better finish.