PDA

View Full Version : Trim dressing techniques

imported_shine
05-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Every once in a while I will be dressing trim in tight places or on thin pieces of trim, like around windows. This sometimes results in getting the dressing on the surrounding paint, glass, or chrome. I`m looking for any tips, techniques, or application product suggestions that anyone has to improve this step. Thanks!

NSXTASY
05-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I use foam tipped paint brushes. I bought an assorted bag of them which have various sizes and widths. They have a tapered tip and with some finesse I can apply dressing to trim without touching paint/glass/surrounding pieces.

Pats300zx
05-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I use foam tipped paint brushes. I bought an assorted bag of them which have various sizes and widths. They have a tapered tip and with some finesse I can apply dressing to trim without touching paint/glass/surrounding pieces.

I love these as well. AC Moore sometimes has these on sale for 20 for $1. I always stock up. They are great for cleaning and dressing the engine bay.

imported_shine
05-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys! I can see those working very nicely.

BigAl3
05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
use a piece of laminated paper/cardboard and hold next to the area as you apply the dressing...

imported_Denzil
05-05-2008, 03:13 PM
use a piece of laminated paper/cardboard and hold next to the area as you apply the dressing...

Not a bad idea, hehe. Combine this with those foam-tipped brushes and you`re set!

Twinscroll
05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I was at a local craft store a while ago and picked up some foam tipped brushes knowing they had to have some use in the detailing world here. I like the idea with the cardboard.

PTRon
05-05-2008, 03:35 PM
For cardboard, I use paper plates cut to fit. Also good for spray applications where you might need to prevent the spray from going `through` (think black plastic grilles, etc.).

citizen arcane
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
All good suggestions :2thumbs:

If I get trim dressing on the paint of my cars I just apply a small amount of wax/sealant on a small pad that`s easy to control, buff and it`s gone.

JohnZ3MC
05-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Sometimes you have a place or situation when even the foam brushes are too big/fat. For the really tiny trim areas, plastic tweezers holding a bit of foam gives even more control than the foam brushes.

To save the fingers from getting tired and releasing the foam bead, an elastic band wrapped around the tweezer arms is the solution.

The wide tipped plastic tweezers work better than the pointed ones. Less oportunity for scratches.

-John C.