PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys introduction and a few questions

Ben D.
05-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi guys, names Ben (if you havn`t seen my user id yet lol) I just bought a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 had it custom ordered for me since I wanted a six speed manual and a few other things. It`s a beautiful black with metallic flake with some nice five spoke 20x9 wheels. It`s my first new vehicle (i`m only 19) and so far i`m just trying to enjoy the truck and get myself situated for detailing.

Image of My Truck - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn91/cummins67/?action=view&current=0426081502.jpg)

bad pic but o well.

I havn`t had time to clean it yet or really anything. From lots of research and such I decided to go with Zaino and have gotten all of the products I will need.

the current game plan if you would call it that is this

Wash with Dawn, Z18 claybar, ZAIO, Z5, Z2, with Z6 inbetween, ZCS, and a finale of Z8. I also have the zaino products for the tires, plastics, glass, and my interior plastics stuff The trucks paint is in great shape with some very very very minor scratches from it beign washed by guys at the dealership. I guess they are what you would call swirl scratches.

What do you guys think of that plan so far? Using the all 100% cotton towels that Sal recommended although considering some microfiber wondering if it is as evil as he made it sound.

I was thinking for the minor scratches that are there now the ZAIO would be abrasive enough to remove that. I didn`t want to jump straight into ZPC. Plus from my research it seems that Zaino is not the place to go for the more abrasive polishes to correct more serious flaws. Sonus is the other name I was hearing. What would you guys recommend if there ever would become the need for more abrasive products or do you think for the minor flaws I have now I should go more abrasive. My thoughts are that I shouldn`t for minor scratches that can only be seen in very specific lighting situations

I`m open to all suggestions I am coming into this entire detailing world with the mentality of money is no object. I just spent mucho denero on a truck *** is a few hundred bucks to protect my pride and joy. (plus i hate it when ppl want suggestions and then say that the suggestions are too pricey)

As of now i`m trying to learn about the random orbital polishers, the pads, and the different types of polishes,

I understand the basics of washing, drying, claying, and sealing the paint. Most of my questions now are based around certain techniques and the use of abrasive polishes and buffers. It`s not hard to understand what most other stuff does. plus you can`t really hurt the paint when using a sealer or claybar or washing and drying Unless you aren`t too smart and think it`s a genius idea to roll ur claybar in sand and then apply to the paint.

I look forward to being a member here and if you guys have any other suggestions other than the few questions I asked please without hesitation make your suggestions known. I am not a total newbie and am fairly knowledgable but I am more than willing to hear the wisdom from senior members