PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Power Dissolver : Update

Pages : [1] 2 3

charlesaferg
05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, I found where to buy it. If you have a QFC anywhere near you, they carry it.

I found it on the dawn website, typed in my zip code and selected what product - it showed right up.

Regardless, I tested it on two identically thrashed wash mitts. I used them both to clean the underbelly of an aircraft. They were heavily contaminated with petroleum and carbon from the runway and the engine. Nothing took it off but this stuff.

I soaked it, agitated a bit, then put on a final spray and let it sit for a half hour in a sink. Then I rinsed it while scrubbing, and after a bit I also used some dawn on it. to help remove the residue. I did this procedure twice over - and let it air dry. Amazing.

One important note, wear gloves! This stuff destroyed my hands, it make them dry and flake a bit. It`s definitely not very friendly stuff to your skin, but works great destroying petroleum.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9/CharlesAFerg/IMG_2259.jpg

BigAl3
05-04-2008, 10:30 PM
haven`t found anything better to clean pads. spray onto pad, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse/massage under running water, done... :up

Junebug
05-05-2008, 05:29 AM
Amen bro! That stuff is amazing, I used to use XMT pad cleaner - rough as a cob on your lungs. But, with Dawn - it`s faster and much better to work with - not to mention CHEAPER!

Pats300zx
05-05-2008, 06:36 AM
Dawn Power Dissolver is all I use to clean my pads now. Quick spray, let sit, rinse clean. For $2.04 at Walmart it can`t be beat.

imported_cj99si
05-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Same here its all I use to clean my pads.

Poordude
05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Butyl based degreaser. It cleans very well& is cheap but butyl is a highly dangerous carcinogen & is absorbed in the skin when you don,t wear gloves. Do not breath in the fumes if you can help as it is a respiratory constrictor as well.Be careful when using this product.

Macruz19
05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
I always buy it from wal mart. Great pad cleaner!

ricka
05-05-2008, 08:51 AM
I`ll soak pads with Power Dissolver for 10-15 min...scrub and rinse. Then a dash of regular dish soap and it does the trick every time.

Eisen Hulk
05-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Right on! I`m picking up some TODAY.

Thanks, guys.

SuperBee364
05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Well, I found where to buy it. If you have a QFC anywhere near you, they carry it.

I found it on the dawn website, typed in my zip code and selected what product - it showed right up.

Regardless, I tested it on two identically thrashed wash mitts. I used them both to clean the underbelly of an aircraft. They were heavily contaminated with petroleum and carbon from the runway and the engine. Nothing took it off but this stuff.

I soaked it, agitated a bit, then put on a final spray and let it sit for a half hour in a sink. Then I rinsed it while scrubbing, and after a bit I also used some dawn on it. to help remove the residue. I did this procedure twice over - and let it air dry. Amazing.

One important note, wear gloves! This stuff destroyed my hands, it make them dry and flake a bit. It`s definitely not very friendly stuff to your skin, but works great destroying petroleum.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9/CharlesAFerg/IMG_2259.jpg

Great info... thanks! Amazing result. That mitt looks brand new. DPD also works great on oil stains in your garage or the driveway. Next test I`m gonna do with the stuff is an engine detail on the wife`s suv. Gonna use DPD and the new steamer.

charlesaferg
05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Butyl based degreaser. It cleans very well& is cheap but butyl is a highly dangerous carcinogen & is absorbed in the skin when you don,t wear gloves. Do not breath in the fumes if you can help as it is a respiratory constrictor as well.Be careful when using this product.

Oh d4mnit. Well that explains why my skin was literally flaking away. Probably shouldn`t do that any more.

Great info... thanks! Amazing result. That mitt looks brand new. DPD also works great on oil stains in your garage or the driveway. Next test I`m gonna do with the stuff is an engine detail on the wife`s suv. Gonna use DPD and the new steamer.

Respirator, gloves... Serious.

Pics too, even if you get cancer. ;)

Junebug
05-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I wash my pads in tthe sink with dawn-power-dissolver and never had any issues with skin or breathing the fumes. I rinse my hands often when using it. IF it was that dangerous would Wally Mart sell it to the public? I mean it`s not like it`s industrial solvent. But, ya`ll do what feels best for you, me? I still say this stuff is much milder on you than that XMT crap.

Black240SX
05-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Are you talking about the same butyl that is in Simple Green?

mr.ikon
05-05-2008, 10:10 PM
This is some serious cleaner. I purchased this to clean my pads after the detail. Let it sit for 10 minutes and massage it under running water. Pads were clean with very little effort. But I should have worn gloves though. Didnt know it was that harsh on your skin. Good stuff though.

SuperBee364
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh d4mnit. Well that explains why my skin was literally flaking away. Probably shouldn`t do that any more.

Respirator, gloves... Serious.

Pics too, even if you get cancer. ;)

LOL, I`ll be sure to include pics of me in the respirator and gloves, as well as hospital chemotherapy shots.