PDA

View Full Version : sealant bonding question

imported_mobenzowner
05-04-2008, 08:56 AM
My car currently is wearing a coat of p21s which is closing in on three weeks old. I know the durability of this wax is not the greatest. I want to apply some wgdgps and was wondering if it would bond if I simply do an IPA wipedown on the three week old

p21s or do I need to do the extra step of applying a cleaner?

Thanks to all in advance............

imported_Puckman
05-04-2008, 10:02 AM
There`s a chance I`ll stir up a tender nerve with this but I have, in the past, faced with this exact same situation used a Dawn dish soap wash for this purpose. I know it`s reputed to be harsh and not recommended by the purists (myself included) but I wouldn`t hesitate to try that with the understanding it`s not done frequently. In my experience it is effective at stripping carnauba based products off the paint. I would follow that with a good AIO buff session to get any remaining non compatible stuff off the paint and go from there. Sealants are best applied over a perfectly clean paint surface.

SuperBee364
05-04-2008, 11:46 AM
There`s a chance I`ll stir up a tender nerve with this but I have, in the past, faced with this exact same situation used a Dawn dish soap wash for this purpose. I know it`s reputed to be harsh and not recommended by the purists (myself included) but I wouldn`t hesitate to try that with the understanding it`s not done frequently. In my experience it is effective at stripping carnauba based products off the paint. I would follow that with a good AIO buff session to get any remaining non compatible stuff off the paint and go from there. Sealants are best applied over a perfectly clean paint surface.

Agreed. Most sealants need a residue free surface to bond correctly. The general rule of thumb is that it`s ok to put a wax over a sealant, but normally not ok to put a sealant over a wax.

However you get to the residue free paint is pretty much up to you. Using a strong wash of Chemical Guy`s Citrus Wash N Gloss is my current prefered method, but (again with the tender nerve Puckman brought up), a Dawn wash isn`t gonna kill your paint. Doing a good thorough IPA wipedown (hit each panel at least twice) after washing should remove pretty much every last trace of whatever LSP was on the paint. Make sure you use lots of MF`s when you`re doing this. You don`t want to be smearing IPA/LSP residue back on to the paint. I use one fresh MF for every body panel I IPA.

wfedwar
05-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I just run over the whole car with a finishing polish, IPA, AIO, then sealant. Takes care of old wax and swirls at the same time.

imported_mobenzowner
05-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Thank you all for the replies...............:grinno:

tsantoro
05-05-2008, 07:31 AM
I agree with SuperBee. I used a strong wash of CG Citrus and it did a great job of removing old wax and surface dirt. Follow up with an IPA wipe down and you`re ready to go.