PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference between Meguiars #5 and #7

imported_RedlineIRL
05-04-2008, 12:00 AM
What`s the difference between Meguairs #5 and #7 glazes? I need something that is safe and breathable for a repainted surface, and was reccomended to use #5. I can`t find it in the store, but was able to find #7.

imported_never gone
05-04-2008, 03:22 AM
I did some reading up on this as I have some new painted pieces too. I`m going with #7.

meguiars.com: FAQ - How soon can I wax my new car? (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=paint%20care&faqQuestionID=54&section=_54#_54)

imported_RedlineIRL
05-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I did some reading up on this as I have some new painted pieces too. I`m going with #7.

meguiars.com: FAQ - How soon can I wax my new car? (http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=paint%20care&faqQuestionID=54&section=_54#_54)

Good find. Maybe I should have checked the site first.

BlueLibby04
05-04-2008, 05:46 PM
You just use #7 no problem.

I may be making this up but is #5 for todays modern CC while #7 leans towards SS paint? I use #7 all the time on my CC and love it, I know many others do too so I know it works great on CC.

kh765
05-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I think #5 is supposed to be used in more humid climates where #7 can be difficult to work with. I`m not sure of the differences in results between the two.

Accumulator
05-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah, #5 is more humidity-friendly. They both do pretty much the same thing, but #5 dries more thoroughly and is thus more user-friendly. #7 has a higher oil content and doesn`t really "dry" in the sense that #5 does, so it looks a little better at the expense of being trickier to work with.

And nah...#5 came out decades before there was b/c paint. It`s not as old as #7 but it`s still from the days of single stage. #81 is the one that`s sorta that modern version of these types of products, so that`s the one that`s the most b/c-friendly (but they all work OK on both types of paint).