PDA

View Full Version : Bird Bomb Defense - Wax or Sealant?

Craigster
08-08-2005, 07:07 AM
I got another bird bomb on the hood of my daily driver, a Malibu Maxx..That makes 3 since it was repainted....Of course they have all etched the paint. :wall

I polished them down so you really have to look hard to see them, but like every other board member, my eyes go directly to them anytime I am near the car.

I was wondering if the Zaino is partly to blame, or its the repainted hood (probably both). I`ve never had bird bombs etch this bad in the past on any of my other cars....in all fairness, its also the first dark car (and repainted hood) Ive had. I didnt know if maybe a different product with a heavy Carnuba would be more likely to offer a little longer window to get it cleaned off (the bomb yesterday couldnt have been on there more the 15- 20 min). I know nothing will help completely, but I thought maybe wax properties would be more beneficial than just a sealant.

Any thoughts?

Beemerboy
08-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Couple of things is I would layer a sealant to start wait 24 hours between coats, this will add to the protection and give you a larger window of time......The carnuba will also help but not with the acid that is in bird do do......I would also carry some PB S&W with a MF towel so that you are ready at any time....I have some in my cars all the time for this reason and whatever comes up

Craigster
08-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Thats the killer, I did have S&W (and Bird Sh#t Remover).

I couldnt have been gone more than 15 - 20 min. I have 3 coats of Z2Pro with Z6 in between and Z8 on top.

I think the seagulls have been at the toxic dumps lately...

Beemerboy
08-08-2005, 11:15 AM
I`d then have to say there is not much you can do, the gulls are deadly...Seems like you have plenty of protection on there...........Look at this way it could be a lot worse if you didn`t have anything on there.

Good Luck

Craigster
08-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Very true...I just gotta keep in mind, its just a daily driver....its just a daily driver.....:chill :chill :chill :chill

Beercan31
08-08-2005, 04:47 PM
your not alone on this, I can not comment on the Zaino products but I have been known the use Meg`s #20 x2 and a topper of NXT and get the same etching you described above. As for the gulls Alka seltzer works well.

Don
08-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Very true...I just gotta keep in mind, its just a daily driver....its just a daily driver.....:chill :chill :chill :chill

I`ve tried that...it doesn`t work ;)

Craigster
08-09-2005, 01:02 PM
BeerCan31,

Alka Seltzer....Nice visual...I`m sure the Zaino would protect against that splatter..

joyriide1113
08-09-2005, 01:57 PM
having a bird bomb on u`re paint dry for longer than 5 minutes is like oouring simple green on the surface and letting it dry.

sometimes they tend to just fade away.