PDA

View Full Version : Washing VS. wax+ Quick Detailer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

justinschmidt1
05-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Anyone know if its bad to repeatedly quick detail my waxed car vs washing it??

I pretty much never wash my car cause I just quick detail the entire car since the dirt just wipes off my Glanz wax

Just curious if anyone thinks I should wash the car every now and again or does it really not matter?

BigJimZ28
05-02-2008, 07:13 PM
is this a joke?

justinschmidt1
05-02-2008, 07:18 PM
is this a joke?

Im just curious if anyone thinks its a good idea to wash my car every now and again to get any surface contaminants off rather than just wipe my car down everyday and if a quick detail is as good as washing

If you dont have anything to contribute please stay out since it`s a valid question

BigJimZ28
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
I think EVERYBODY on here would tell you to wash and not just QD

only using A QD is a great way to swirls up your paint fast

justinschmidt1
05-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I think EVERYBODY on here would tell you to wash and not just QD

only using A QD is a great way to swirls up your paint fast

Alright, thank you, thats what I was looking for.

BlueLibby04
05-02-2008, 08:35 PM
QD is meant for light dust, smudges, finger prints, etc. Using it for a car that sits outside in the driveway and gets a light coating of pollen on it should be ok if you do it right.

I would not use it after Ive driven down the road.

justinschmidt1
05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
QD is meant for light dust, smudges, finger prints, etc. Using it for a car that sits outside in the driveway and gets a light coating of pollen on it should be ok if you do it right.

I would not use it after Ive driven down the road.

Well, thats what Im using it for

Just to clean off pollen/dust after my car sits in the driveway over night

EMAES
05-02-2008, 08:56 PM
I only use a QD or spray wax after a wash, if I drive it, I just wait for the next weekly wash.

beachcities
05-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Personally I would never do that. Sounds like using qd to wipe anything off the paint could cause marring. I wash my van once a day and then qd it after the wash and I like results

imported_Picus
05-02-2008, 09:05 PM
More info on the car would be good. Year, make, model, color. I`m not implying qd`ing only is better on some cars and not others; but frankly it will do more damage to some than others. Personally, I wash my car. I never `qd dust off`.

justinschmidt1
05-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Its a 96 Mustang gt...moonlight blue

Honestly I just dont have time to wash my car everyday

Heres my paint

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2245/2458365324_f42b79ce71.jpg?v=0

99blackSE
05-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Dust accumulation for me means time for a wash, even light amounts of it. This is especially paramount now that I have Honda clear to work with, the darn stuff mars so easily. I`d rather leave it dusty for a few days longer waiting for a wash then to QD it.

victory
05-03-2008, 06:24 AM
As a person who doesn`t have a garage, I probably do a few things that people with garaged cars wouldn`t. For light pollen on my car, i use a car duster then will quick detail any bird bombs or any spots that fell from the tree. Otherwise, i`d be washing it daily and i just don`t have the time. If it`s legitimately dirty, it gets washed. It`s not like i`m QDing mud from around the fender wells.

Glossmaster
05-03-2008, 07:10 AM
I`ve always washed proir to QD`ing. When my black paint is heavily soiled, I shampoo then QD. If it`s lightly soiled or a little dusty, I use ONR then QD. Black paint is fussy! I once used my Oxo car duster to wipe the dust/pollen off my car. It marred my paint a bit. I`ll always wash before QD`ing.

abbeysdad
05-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Seems to me a definition is in order - you see I `wash` with ONR at QD strength of 6-8oz/gallon of water. I spray on with a hand held pump sprayer, wipe off with a wet towel and a rinse bucket (going to try the grout sponge real soon).

So, I guess you could say that my wash IS a QD of sorts.

Kindof blurs the line between QD and wash.

Now having said (er written) that it seems to me that some of the QD concoctions out there aren`t much more than scented water with so water soluable lubricant and anything more than light dust on the surface could be a recipe for disaster.

I remember when I was a real newbie to detailing a couple of years ago, I was gonna do a QD during lunch. I used a well known QD spray. The rear panel had some road spray and as soon as the MF touched the panel I could feel the grit against the paint as if I was sanding! I stopped right away - that QD spray did little/nothing to protect the paint.