PDA

View Full Version : 3M clear bra film issue

Intercooled
05-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I have the 3M clear bra film on the front of the vehicle and in front of the rear wheels and behind the rear wheels on the rear quarter panel. The film was applied when I bought the truck brand new 1 month ago. I noticed that the rear film has slight yellow tint to it lately. ( the new truck is white, so this very visible.) The front is nice and clear like its suppose to be. I assume tis is from road grime spraying off the tires. two questions........I have the whole car Zainoed, so I know there is enough protection on the surfaces. Is there a way to rid the yellow tinting? I was thinking of just removing the rear film, how hard is it to remove and wll there be any issues? Does it just peel off in one piece or will peel off in little pieces?

Deanski
05-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Who did the application? Go back to them and demand they fix this mess. It should never look yellow in such a short time, let alone at all now since most films today are very clear and do not yellow.

You can remove it, but you need heat from a heat gun or high power hair dryer to loosen the adhesive to paint contact. Once off, you may need PrepSol or better 3M adhesive remover and clay to take the adhesives off.

No one should live with yellowing film PERIOD!

Deanski

motobuild
05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Can`t the film be lightly polished to remove yellowing?

Rob Tomlin
05-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Can`t the film be lightly polished to remove yellowing?

It`s not recommended, so I wouldn`t do it. Last thing you need is for them to deny any type of warranty for the yellowing because someone put a buffer to it.

stilez
05-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Of the two clearbra installers I have spoken to, they recommended 2 courses of action for cleaning/maintaining:

- Plexus Spray

- IPA

SpoiledMan also noted that Meguiar`s PlastX works wonders on the yellowing. White will be tough no matter what. I know my clearbra has faded a little but being my car is gray, you can only notice in a yellow parking lot light.

Intercooled
05-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info. Its very slight, but I can see it at certain angles and in certain lighting. Its not "yellow" , I mean terrible, but I can see it over the white paint. I`ll try the plexus.

sk55
05-03-2008, 10:43 AM
the slight yellow tint is due to the glue the process uses. i was warned about this when i ask about the application on alpine white bimmer.

the yellow is very faint... so its only seen on white cars..

jimmie jam
05-03-2008, 10:51 AM
take it back to the installer. IF he is a 3M approved installer your film/installation is warranted for 5 years. i have 3M on my white C6 and it does should slight yellowing a year later but only in certain light (this car is a grage queen w/2,400). my white avalanche also has 3M on it with no real signs of yellowing (garaged). finally, my white diamond CTS (daily driver that sits out) does not show any yellowing. FWIW. go back to the installer is my advise!!! i think that they are on the 4th generation of this film and the yellowing has been resolved. you could have had an older piece put in that area. :idea

Intercooled
05-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Interesting info guys. The front is fine. no sign of yellowing at all. it seems its only the pieces near the rear wheels. Perhaps its more visible because of the verticle surface or that it gets much more road crap off the tires. Like I aid sometimes I can see it off color sometimes I cant. I`ve only had the truck for a month. Not really a daily driver but sits outside. I asked about yellowing at the dealership when I asked them to install it. He assured me its top notch material. he said they sub out the fil install to an outside contractor. The delaer said it is 3M autobahn film. I never met or saw the installer nor did I recieve any verification thats its in fact 3m film. But I can always bring it back to the dealership. I`ll wait till next wash and give it a good look over. I really like the film for the rock chips etc. The only thing that I dont like is that the film on the sides catch dirt on the seem where the film ends. I can see a dirt line going verticly in front of the rear wheels. It washes off when I wash but otherwise after 1 day of driving the dirt line is there. It just stands out on the white paint.

SuperBee364
05-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I`ve used Menz PO106FF on my 3M film clear bra several times with no ill effects (so far). I use a PC on speed three with black finishing foam, and no pressure.

I also keep a good layer of LSP on it.