PDA

View Full Version : Question about Megs #7 glaze

Pages : [1] 2

imported_never gone
05-01-2008, 12:51 PM
So for a car show I`m going to be in in a couple weeks, I`m going to be using Megs show car glaze #7 for my topper. Do you think it would be an issue or take away from the look of the glaze if I`m wiping down the car with Z-8 afterwards?

imported_never gone
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
no one knows??

BigJimZ28
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
IMO Z-8 will remove most if not all of the #7

so I would pick one or the other

BlueLibby04
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Polish isnt very durable at all so its possible that wiping it down could reduce the gloss. Weather or not anyone would notice is another thing though. :)

kerrinjeff
05-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Well, I`ve never used Z-8, but I can say #7 gave me a very rich finish (darker and deeper) and I topped it with Nxt 2.0 tech wax, then M26 on top of that....very rich and deep. No problems with streaking or anything like that.

dublifecrisis
05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
so i sthis #7 supposed to be used after polish and before wax? these bottles are never very informative. I have a bottle but never used it. good question though

jfsully
05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
#7 can also be used over a LSP to add for additional gloss....it provides Zero protection and wears off quickly BUT #7 was used for years at shows to give a very wet look as a supplemental LSP at the show.

wfedwar
05-01-2008, 09:42 PM
#7 is a greasy mess by itself. It`s made to be topped with #26. Says so on the bottle...

orionredwing
05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
To the op, I recommend topping #7 with #26. It`s probably the most popular Megs combo, and I`ve used it for 10 years myself.

Also, pickup a bottle of Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer (UQD) for wipedowns and you`ll be all set for your show.

Good luck, and please post pics!

imported_never gone
05-02-2008, 12:24 PM
To the op, I recommend topping #7 with #26. It`s probably the most popular Megs combo, and I`ve used it for 10 years myself.

Also, pickup a bottle of Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer (UQD) for wipedowns and you`ll be all set for your show.

Good luck, and please post pics!

thanks for the heads up! Will UQD take away any of the gloss provided from #7?

ricka
05-02-2008, 01:53 PM
I still think #7 was made for SS paint. Applying on clearcoats didn`t impress me that much.

imported_never gone
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I still think #7 was made for SS paint. Applying on clearcoats didn`t impress me that much.

I kinda feelin ya. I just did half my hood with P21s and the other half with #7 and there was absolutely no difference that I could see and I have a pretty good eye. I had my wife come and look too and she too saw no difference. Hmmmm...what to do?

beefy z
05-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I use and like alot of the megs products. just as good if not better, and more reasonably priced, than alot of the others. that being said,you`ve got some

good info here already on (old) #7. just my 2 cents as i use it.

yes, it was originally used on SS paints, but CAN be used on clearcoats.

yes,topping #7 with #26 is a very pleasing combination.

yes, #7 by itself offers No protection.

yes, the user instructions on the bottle does leave something to be desired.

as its name implies, it was suppossed to be used as that last minute topper at a show or for an immediate wet or detailed look. it is full of oils and will rapidly wear off unless

you top it with something else, like #26 as has been mentioned. however, there are those who will then say you are defeating the purpose of putting on the #7 as you will diminish some of that wet look depending on the topper you use; why did you use it in the first place? is this true? can you REALLy tell the difference between a #26 & #16 ? a nattys between a p21 ? using the #7 as the last step product or topping it with another? i think that`s all in the eye of the beholder. they are all good products. the problems some have in using 7 is the way in which you take it off. The highly respected rep over on the megs site, Mike Phillips, has an excellent article on using #7 and if you really want to use it you should read it or risk REMOVING it wrongly, thereby leaving you with the impression that its a lousy product. just to paraphrase, 7 will haze or streak if attempts to remove it are done all in one swipe of the towel. multiple passes are needed. please refer to his article for further info if you really want to see the benefits of using #7.

z

imported_never gone
05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
I use and like alot of the megs products. just as good if not better, and more reasonably priced, than alot of the others. that being said,you`ve got some

good info here already on (old) #7. just my 2 cents as i use it.

yes, it was originally used on SS paints, but CAN be used on clearcoats.

yes,topping #7 with #26 is a very pleasing combination.

yes, #7 by itself offers No protection.

yes, the user instructions on the bottle does leave something to be desired.

as its name implies, it was suppossed to be used as that last minute topper at a show or for an immediate wet or detailed look. it is full of oils and will rapidly wear off unless

you top it with something else, like #26 as has been mentioned. however, there are those who will then say you are defeating the purpose of putting on the #7 as you will diminish some of that wet look depending on the topper you use; why did you use it in the first place? is this true? can you REALLy tell the difference between a #26 & #16 ? a nattys between a p21 ? using the #7 as the last step product or topping it with another? i think that`s all in the eye of the beholder. they are all good products. the problems some have in using 7 is the way in which you take it off. The highly respected rep over on the megs site, Mike Phillips, has an excellent article on using #7 and if you really want to use it you should read it or risk REMOVING it wrongly, thereby leaving you with the impression that its a lousy product. just to paraphrase, 7 will haze or streak if attempts to remove it are done all in one swipe of the towel. multiple passes are needed. please refer to his article for further info if you really want to see the benefits of using #7.

z

Do you have a link to the article you`re talking about? I can`t find it on megs site.

Eliot Ness
05-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Do you have a link to the article you`re talking about? I can`t find it on megs site.It`s also here on Autopia:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/23740-meguiar-s-7-mike-phillips.html