PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Driving Me NUTS!!!!

Danspeed1
04-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I am working on the tank of an old 81 Honda CB750 and I noticed something in the clear. This is actually something I noticed twice this week! The first time was on the 89 corvette that I detailed. In a many of the spots on the tank, and a few of the spots on the vette, it almost looks like the clear coat has a line that is like a clear coat indentation running through it. Its not like a scratch that you can get your finger nail caught on, no, its more like an indentation (thick scratch) in the clear itself, that is smooth when you run your nail over it. Tried 1500 grit wet sanding and 90% of the marring and swirls are gone after LLC, but these thicker scrathes still remain in random areas of the paint. I feel like, if I go any deeper on the clear, I am going to hit paint, so I stopped. But I am wondering what the heck these are???????????

DG

Way2SSlow
05-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Has the tank been repainted? Could be that you`re seeing defects that were present (and not repaired) BEFORE the painter shot the clear. If that`s the case, you`ll have to live with them or get it repainted.

charlesaferg
05-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Sanding marks from improper sanding prior to painting. Ran into that on my last detail just last weekend, a Saab 93SE. Thank goodness it was white, they are barely noticeable. Still though, that`s just as unfortunate as restray orange peel.

Honestly though, if I was to repaint a car, it would take months, I`d be sanding and respraying sanding and respraying... Admit it, many of us would be the same way, striving for that perfectly level finish. :drool: