PDA

View Full Version : gel coat oxidation removal/restoration

yachtfisher
04-30-2008, 07:02 AM
hello guys

New to your forum, I was wonder what your favotie meathods and compunds were for gel coat restoration. ?

for a lightly oxizided boat, pre wash (soap or chemical) that might allow skiping machine comprounding, do you find that any particular brand of cleaner/color resotrer works best ??

On a heavily degraded gel coat, what are your thoughts on vertglass (never used it but looks like an awsome product)

THANKS Mark

Flygti32
05-01-2008, 04:58 AM
I use Megs #4 heavy cut cleaner and a wool pad ( white) to rip the oxidization be it light or heavy. If it`s really bad then I wetsand with 1000 grit and then polish it back with #4.

Gelcoat does not have a UV inhibitor in it that is why it fades so fast. I hear stories from boat owners all the time, they polish the boat and within 4-6 months it`s faded again.

I use a unique product called X-Kote. X-Kote Paint Renewal Systems Inc (http://www.x-kote.com) I apply this product overtop of my polishing work. X-Kote bonds to the gelocoat permanently giving the boat a layer of actual clearcoat. It enhances the color underneath and gives the surface a layer of UV protection that is far superior to any wax or sealant on the market. Why? because it never washes off like wax or sealant. I have boats going on 2 years now that still looking wet, glossy. All the owners have to do is wax the boat once or twice a year like you would wax your car. Takes 40 minutes and no major expense to have it polished.

yachtfisher
05-01-2008, 06:27 AM
thanks flygti32

have heard about x-kote, do you recommend a supplier, would like to try it out.

is there long term, testing that say after 5-8 years it won`t turn a white boat yellow, or some other un-wanted effect.

Mark

Flygti32
05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
O god I highly doubt that would ever happen, how could it happen?

I have not heard of any cases neither has Marc the CEO.

BobD
05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Where can you find X-Kote?

BigJimZ28
05-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Where can you find X-Kote?

X-kote Dealer Inquiries (http://www.x-kote.com/inquiries.htm)

Yukonon22
05-01-2008, 07:28 PM
leverage polish

yachtfisher
05-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the repiles

as for how could it happen, well ?????????? I can think of a number of reasons

anyhow thanks for the recommendation and the link, it sounds like a great product.

Mark

imported_Dave1
05-06-2008, 10:34 AM
I use a unique product called X-Kote.

How do you appy the product.....?

Anything to look out for when doing it for the first time....?

Thanks.......:xyxthumbs