PDA

View Full Version : Gez, how do you clean 476s pad

irsankao
04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
I bought colin 476s, applied to my car with ease.

I don`t have the problems with the wax turned to concrete and impossible to buff.

It did become very hard and difficult to buff if applied thick but still it could be buff with nice MF towel.

Colin 476s gives glossy/shiny look, far from deep wetlook, and make the metalic pops in case you are wondering.

Now the problem is how do I clean the foam applicator pad? my usual route with detergent wouldn`t do, not even a dent.... I left it overnight by the way so I can reapply another layer in the morning.

NSXTASY
04-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Collinite 476 is toughest product IME to release completely from the applicator (in my case round red CCS apps).

However, I am able to get my Collinite apps 99% clean by using a mix of DP pad cleaner, Dawn Direct Foam, and Hot water. I apply the Dawn Foam directly to the app, rub it in, rinse, reapply, and start squeezing over and over until none of that white goo surfaces. Then I soak it in the DP mix for a few minutes, then thoroughly rinse and squeeze.

Have fun.

BigAl3
04-29-2008, 09:38 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/83734-dawn-power-dissolver.html

irsankao
04-29-2008, 11:07 PM
thanks for the reply. But those products are not available in my country.

Can you tell me what Dawn Power Dissolver is? what kind of soap is it? dish washing liquid, laundry detergent, or what?

I used laundry detergent and I thought it was the strongest but I was wrong.

Accumulator
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM
thanks for the reply. But those products are not available in my country.

Can you tell me what Dawn Power Dissolver is? what kind of soap is it? dish washing liquid, laundry detergent, or what?

The Dawn Power Dissolver is a concentrated dish soap in a spray bottle.

I`d use either a dish soap or an APC. Try to clean the applicator out before the 476S dries completely and use *hot* water.

And I wouldn`t worry if there`s some wax left behind. I`ve never had any leftover wax get so hard as to cause marring, at least not after I`ve dampened the pad and put more 476S on it.

3puttjay
04-30-2008, 10:41 AM
If the pad isn`t dirty at all, you might put it in one of those airtight baggies. This makes it easier to apply three layers of 476S over three wash cycles. then to finally clean I just apply palmolive dishwashing liquid (my wife`s stuff) over the pad and then let it sit in hot water over night. Then I just wash it in the washing machine with my other MF`s.

irsankao
05-01-2008, 10:07 PM
It worked!

I went to the kitchen, grabed dish washing liquid soap, not dishwasher liquid but regular dish washing liquid. Grabbed hot water from water dispenser too.

Noticed that the pad was dirty so I wouldn`t keep it.

I dipped the pad into hot water, pour the liquid soap on the pad, brushed it with old toothbrush.

Did it few times, it came off easily.

It`s a brand new pad again.

I washed the MF towel, the one I used for buffing with laundry detergent.

I think it worked just fine, the wax dissolved in it since the water turned white.

I used warm water just to make sure it would dissolve better.