View Full Version : My spring detail

abbeysdad
04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
A long winter over at last...

Vehicle:

2006 Buick Rendezvous

Interior:

1. full vacuum

2. Upholstery and carpet cleaned with Bissell Pro heat 2X. (really believe that extractions is a key to really cleaing these).

3. Plastic/vinyl cleaned with simple green, protected with 303Aerospace protectant.

4. Glass cleaned with Stoners Invisible Glass.

Exterior:

1. Pay `n spray coin op. Sprayed Wesleys bleach white on tires (but need a really good tire cleaner - any recommendations?)

2. ONR wash - I use ONR at QD strength at 8oz/gal. I spray panels with a hand held pump sprayer, waffle weave towels and a rinse bucket. (I`m Gonna try the grout sponges I just read about here real soon).

3. Clayed with Megs clay bar w/ONR QD spray. Wiped off with Meg towel that came in the clay kit. Note: I`ve used mothers, clay magic and Megs clay bars now and think I prefer Mothers and Megs over clay magic as they`re not quite a sticky as CM - just me)

4. Polish with Optimum polish (new formula). I apply the polish by hand with a foam applicator, staying away from the panel edge (to keep product out of any gaps). This allows me to keep the PC on a setting of 5 with no product sling at all. I used a yellow pad to polish. (Note: The PC on speed 6 just vibrates too much so I`d rather take a little extra time with 5 then jar my arms silly.)

5. LSP with Duragloss Total Performance Polish. PC w/Blue pad.

6. Mothers back to Black and 303 on exterior black trim.

7. Megs Endurance on the tires.

8. Stoner`s Invisible glass on glass, RainX on windshield.

Notes:

1) I discovered that I had a lot of tiny little rust spots - some even on plastic trim - it was quite bad on the rear (because of the dead air space) - I suspect this is brake dust that stuck `n rust. Most of this came off with the clay, what little was left came off when I polished.

2) I had some grime on the rims that ONR and Bleachwhite didn`t touch. Try not to cringe, but I used a bit of soft scrub from the kitchen to remove (worked really well, but still need a good wheel/tire cleaner - anyone use EagleOne foam?)

3) I didn`t take any pics, but I gotta say my ride looks brand spankin new....no it looks better than that!!!

Footnote: I first came hear two years ago after getting the "new car fever" (that usually lasts 6-8 weeks or until the first dent - only this time it stuck). I was `old school` and didn`t know about polishing and a lot of the products many here have come to take for granted - well thank-you guys (Autotopians) for showing me how to keep my ride as good or better than if it was new.

WashCrazy
04-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I am on that 6-8 week ride right about now :)JK

Let`s see some pics!

Rob Tomlin
04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
:showpics

rebelde33
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
I agree. We need pics! :D

abbeysdad
04-30-2008, 04:40 AM
I was sharin the process - you fellas can read right? <hehe>

I`m away on bidness right now so can`t take any pics - sorry, it`ll have to wait.

Accumulator
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
abbeysdad- Glad to hear it turned out well, sounds like a good (and involved!) process.

Glad the rust-blooms came out. Keep an eye peeled for reoccurence so you can get ` em before they get too well established.

I don`t thin the foaming wheel cleaner is what you need...I`d go with a regular one and clay/polish as necessary.

3puttjay
04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Go to Big Lots, they have the wheel cleaning brush from turtle wax which has a scrubbing pad built in. It`s only $2 and you can pick up other stuff like little detail brushes and upholstery brushes all for around $2 each.

abbeysdad
04-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Glad the rust-blooms came out. Keep an eye peeled for reoccurence so you can get ` em before they get too well established.I`m pretty sure it was brake dust that took hold as the LSP faded in winter - especially since there was a lot of it on the plastic/vinyl trim panel on the rear! (since of course, plastic doesn`t rust)

Anyway, it was looking real sharp when I finished. But then uhhhhhg....next day drove to Albany and ran into bugs on a suicide mission - oh no. But you`ll never guess...next day it rained and nearly all the buggers just washed off !!! I love a good polish/LSP.

mgsjester
04-30-2008, 06:09 PM
2) I had some grime on the rims that ONR and Bleachwhite didn`t touch. Try not to cringe, but I used a bit of soft scrub from the kitchen to remove (worked really well, but still need a good wheel/tire cleaner - anyone use EagleOne foam?)

I used Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Foam Cleaner.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-brag/105190-mgsjester-first-detail-2003-honda-accord.html

I got very good results but I heard it was a harsh cleaner. If you`re wheel is fairly clean (mine was never washed in 5 years), you might want to use a different cleaner because people say Eagle One is very harsh on the wheel.