PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a wax and a glaze???

blake_jl
04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a wax and a glaze?

Zymol call their low end products like "carbon" a wax but anything from their "titanium" product and up is called a glaze.

Thanks.

ptaylor_9849
04-29-2008, 04:04 PM
A glaze adds depth, wetness, fills small swirl marks, enhances clarity, shine and darkens the paint. However, a glaze contains NO PROTECTION and will wear away quickly without an LSP such as a sealant or wax.

Patrick

imported_agentf1
04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I agree with Patrick but when it comes to the Zymol Glazes I think it is just marketing and they are all waxes.

blake_jl
04-29-2008, 05:10 PM
ok thanks guys. I suspected Zymol just used it as yet another marketing ploy.

Cheers.

SuperBee364
04-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah, a "Glaze" according to Zymol is a very expensive wax. And just to add to the confusion, a "Polish" according to Zaino is really a sealant. But what Patrick said is pretty much what everyone here on Autopia goes by: A glaze is something you put on a car to improve the shine/gloss and to *hide* (not remove) small defects in the paint, but it doesn`t offer any environmental protection like a wax or sealant will. If you don`t put a wax/sealant over the top of a glaze, they will typically wash off in two or three washes.

Waxes and/or sealants enhance the shine/gloss of a car without the defect hiding abilities of a glaze as well as providing environmental protection.

Most of the time, glazes are followed up with an *appropriate* wax/sealant. It`s important that you use the correct type of wax/sealant (LSP-Last Step Process around here) after using a glaze; some types of LSP`s won`t adhere over certain glazes.