PDA

View Full Version : Zaino Users - Washing with DAWN????

Pages : [1] 2 3

WashCrazy
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
I am just getting back into washing and waxing since I got a new car and decided to try Zaino`s line of goods. It suggests washing the car with Dawn to get any waxes and residue off.

Now I have also searched and read just about every post I could find on zaino, and people`s comments on Dawn and many DO NOT recommend using it on your car.

Seems like some use IPA mixed with water, and others just use the dawn. Then I`ve seen some others use some other products.

What is the best soap, product, or process to get the surface ready for a zaino treatment? Is Dawn fine if I am only using it once? anyone recommend using it, or not using it and using something else?

Any tips and experience appreciated.

NSXTASY
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
The Dawn Debate.

Dawn is an alkaline soap, it shouldn`t harm your finish.

Its fine to use to prep your car.

I think you could have found this answer as well as others by simply searching.

One negative aspect is Dawn isn`t highly lubricious, try mixing 3-4oz of dawn with 1-2oz of your regular shampoo if your concerned.

imported_weekendwarrior
04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
The Dawn Debate.

Dawn is an alkaline soap, it shouldn`t harm your finish.

Its fine to use to prep your car.

I think you could have found this answer as well as others by simply searching.

One negative aspect is Dawn isn`t highly lubricious, try mixing 3-4oz of dawn with 1-2oz of your regular shampoo if your concerned.

Or you wash twice - first with the regular car soap, and then an immediate second wash with Dawn.

WashCrazy
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
I have searched and that is basically why I am trying to ask some more recent people their opinions. Seems like the dawn debate is a questionable one at all angles. I am new to Autopia and did a search first, and then posted since it seems like there are many detail professionals around here.

My Zaino came in the mail today and I plan to do it within the next week so I am hoping to hear from some people on their opinions on using dawn before zaino.

imported_themightytimmah
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
The Dawn wash is kind of an old-school Zaino throwback - with the introduction of Z-AIO, there`s no need for an alkaline wash to remove waxes and oils on the surface.

wannafbody
04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
I don`t think Dawn is any more harsh than some carwashes.

WashCrazy
04-29-2008, 03:23 PM
The Dawn wash is kind of an old-school Zaino throwback - with the introduction of Z-AIO, there`s no need for an alkaline wash to remove waxes and oils on the surface.

I got the Z-2 and Z-5 since I have a darker car, and have a few lighter cars I may want to also use it on. Seems like people like the Z-2/Z-5 combo so I figured I would do that.

Is Z-AIO something I should consider buying instead of using dawn on the car? Or is Dawn safe enough to use one time to get a fresh base?

SuperBee364
04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Is it time again already for another Dawn thread? Seems like it was just yesterday...

WashCrazy
04-29-2008, 05:01 PM
So is using alcohol diluted with water a better idea? What is the best way IF dawn isn`t ideal?

Mindflux
04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Is it time again already for another Dawn thread? Seems like it was just yesterday...

It probably was!

:dance

FWIW: You only need to do it once as long as you keep a good regimen of washing/`waxing`

Mindflux
04-29-2008, 05:07 PM

This is assuming he`s using AIO. I`ve yet to try it.. this weekend or next I think will seal the deal there.

:usa

Macruz19
04-29-2008, 06:09 PM
I just do it for the hell of it once in a while. I just don`t make it a habit. I`d say I would use a dawn wash on a friends car that`s going to be detailed the first time.

PRESSURE PACKED
04-29-2008, 06:45 PM
the dawn is recommended for a prep. wax....it gets all deep soiled dirt and residue,,,the res=ason it is not "recommended for wash after wash is because the it takes off wax...so once you wax the car wash with a zaino/car wash soap

WashCrazy
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
I do not have Z-AIO. Instead I have the Z-2, Z-5, and Z-6 spray. I also have the clay Z-18 so am going to do that.

The problem with the Dawn debate as I see it is some say use it, others say don`t, but there is no backing behind either side, other than a personal preference. Makes it tough to decide if I should use it, or just pick up some Z-AIO and start with that instead.

So Dawn, Z-AIO, or is there something else that can be used safely? My car is only about a month old and the dealer definitely put some light coat of something on because they left residue here and there. I want to be sure the Zaino is going to bond.

GatorJ
04-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Dawn doesn`t belong on an automotive finish. It really is that simple.