PDA

View Full Version : Park under tree...suggestion

Pages : [1] 2

evan631
04-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Well this is my situation. I am very new to this level of detailing...normally i just put a coat of wax on the car once a year. But this time i want to try bigger and better things.

I recently purchased an Acura TSX, carbon gray. Unfortunately the only place i can park it is under a tree which produces these tiny little yellow flowers, and tons of pollen.

What do you suggest i use for detailing. I am leaning towards the twins (Klasse AIO, and the glaze), along with a QD - looking at Sonus.

Is this a good combo for hand application...no machine. Any other suggestions what i should use. Keep in mind I am new to this...so the easier the better.

Additionally, i would be washing probably once a week.

Much appreciated!!!!

jshillin
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
I`d go with collinite 845 or possible Jeff`s Werkstat Prime Acrylic and AJT. Well, you could also go with poliseal and OS or OCW.

Setec Astronomy
04-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Yes, there are plenty of possible combinations...I would tend to go with the "newer" version of AIO/SG which is Jeff`s Werkstat (disclaimer: I have only used Klasse not JW) based on user reports. As jshillin also mentioned, the WOWA products preceded by their cleaner counterparts (PS/OS, ZAIO/CS, UPPP/UPGP) would also be a good choice. Of course 845 is also a great, easy to apply product.

SuperBee364
04-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Another vote for Collinite. IMO, even the best of sealants can`t match the environmental protection of a good carnauba. Collinite will give you outstanding protection from all the nasties that fall from that tree, and it`ll last a long time, although I think I`d apply it at least monthly during the summer while you are parking under that tree.

Another bonus for Collinite: it`s cheap!

victory
04-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I park outside and have to deal with tree jizz regularly. Collinite is an excellent suggestion, i use it for winter protection. Should last a long time, even under that tree. I use Duragloss 105 in the summer. Anything that is super slick will do the job.

Frankly, if you park outside and get frequent light dusting, a california car duster or the like will save you a lot of headache and won`t mar your paint if used properly. Just know that anything more than a light dusting requires a bath.

evan631
04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Doing a little research I found this about Collinite 845 on Autogeeks:

This is a true wax with no cleaning properties. For the best results, use Collinite Sapphire PreWax Cleaner before applying #845. * Sapphire PreWax Cleaner is for enamel, lacquer and single stage finishes. For clear coat paint use Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

I do want to use a cleaner before hand, but i don`t know if i need the Sapphire cleaner or the Pinnicle. See above. Once again the car is an `08 Acura with factory paint. Not sure if it is Clear coat or enamel, lacquer.

Thanks again!!!!!!

sprzesmi
04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
I would try 1-2 coats of Collinite 885, which is their most durable wax. I have used it for years and it lasts almost an entire year; that is with it parked outside all day - no garage. Additionally, the 885 (paste fleetwax) is cheaper than the ones made specifically for the car. The only difference is the 885 has more carnauba than the car specific 476 and 915. The car waxes were formulated for easier application and are softer, per collinite customer service. I can`t speak to the shine difference since I only use 885. It isn`t simple to put on, but not hard either. I can do a small Mazda 3 or BMW 3 series in about 30 minutes by myself including all the little spots. It goes on fine and a little goes a long way. One can should do 20+ cars no problem. Just make sure to wipe it off before it dries, and put it on thin or you will be buffing all day. I will post some pics in the future showing water still beading after 8 months of Boston weather.

evan631
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM

This is a true wax with no cleaning properties. For the best results, use Collinite Sapphire PreWax Cleaner before applying #845. * Sapphire PreWax Cleaner is for enamel, lacquer and single stage finishes. For clear coat paint use Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

I do want to use a cleaner before hand, but i don`t know if i need the Sapphire cleaner or the Pinnicle. See above. Once again the car is an `08 Acura with factory paint. Not sure if it is Clear coat or enamel, lacquer.

Thanks again!!!!!!

imported_themightytimmah
04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Use any cleaner of your choice - Klasse AIO, Pinnacle, Optimum Poli-seal, etc.

The Sapphire is not recommended for finishes made after 1990 or so, but I`ve heard anecdotal reports that it won`t harm clearcoats. I wouldn`t try it on my car though.

SuperBee364
04-29-2008, 03:49 PM

Thanks again!!!!!!

They`re just trying to upsell more products. It is completely unnecessary to do anything other than wash (and clay, if needed) before applying the Collinite.

evan631
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
That`s what i was thinking...upselling!!!! Anyone else agree.

It is a relatively new car (picked it up in late Jan.) So a pre wax cleaning might not be all that necessary.

evan631
04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
MY DECISION>>>>

Jeff Werkstat`s AIO along with the Collintie 845 possibly the 885. I am going with the AIO to remove some of the imperfections that are in the paint now, plus some really minor swirls.

The collinite seems like it will make for some great protection and barrier against the elements.

Let me know what you think.

YOu guys have been a tremendous help.

Setec Astronomy
04-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I think that`s a great idea. If you`ve had the car since January and it`s had nothing on it you definitely want to use some sort of cleaner, the JW Prime should be a good choice.

Not to argue with sprzesmi, and I haven`t gone back and researched threads on this, but I thought that the 885, the 476S, and the 915 were all the same wax just targeted at different markets. For ease of use, you can`t beat the 845, it just melts into the paint, but it gives up a little in durability to the pastes.

The other thing you could do since you are ordering from JW is to go with one of their LSP`s and if that isn`t satisfactory then move to a Collinite wax.

SuperBee364
04-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I think that`s a great idea. If you`ve had the car since January and it`s had nothing on it you definitely want to use some sort of cleaner, the JW Prime should be a good choice.

Not to argue with sprzesmi, and I haven`t gone back and researched threads on this, but I thought that the 885, the 476S, and the 915 were all the same wax just targeted at different markets. For ease of use, you can`t beat the 845, it just melts into the paint, but it gives up a little in durability to the pastes.

The other thing you could do since you are ordering from JW is to go with one of their LSP`s and if that isn`t satisfactory then move to a Collinite wax.

I thought so too, but didn`t want to say anything cause I can`t find the threads that talked about it, either.

Eliot Ness
04-30-2008, 08:31 PM
...........but I thought that the 885, the 476S, and the 915 were all the same wax just targeted at different markets.........I called Collinite 2 or 3 years ago and the rep told me 476 was their most durable wax, and it was the same as 885. I can`t remember if their was a slight difference in 915 or not, but the rep was pretty adamant that when *they* wanted the most durable wax they used 476/885. 885 actually works out to be a bit cheaper per oz than 476, but the 476 tin has a larger opening making it a bit easier to get pads into.