PDA

View Full Version : Something`s catching my polish

Pages : [1] 2

My5ABaby
04-28-2008, 04:37 AM
I was hand polishing with 1z Metallic Polish Wax and I notice that something kept catching the polish and making streaks. I couldn`t really see or feel what would be catching it. Prior to the polishing I had washed and clayed the vehicle.

Any clues?

Here`s some examples. The second picture is pointing to just a few of many.

http://web.utk.edu/~rdesalvo/car.jpg

http://web.utk.edu/~rdesalvo/car2.jpg

SVR
04-28-2008, 05:02 AM
Looks like more contamination which the clay didn`t get or maybe some pits and chips catching your polish

deathlok
04-28-2008, 05:09 AM
I think this is normal

imported_Dave1
04-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Is that a possible re-painted surface.....?

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2008, 05:50 AM
Is that a convex or concave surface? If it`s concave perhaps as was noted you missed some contamination with your washing/claying or maybe the polish just isn`t getting worked there.

Accumulator
04-28-2008, 07:34 AM
I think this is normal

:confused: IME there`s no such thing as a "normal problem" when using 1Z MP :D

My5ABaby- Judging from the pics, it *looks like* there`s some kind of surface texture issue...almost like an open grain (if it`s below surface) or else the aforementioned contamination (if it`s above surface).

If I were in your shoes, I`d first try fogging the surface with my breath and rebuffing it..maybe that`ll make the polish come off cleanly.

If that didn`t work, I`d try reclaying. If *that* doesn`t work, I`d repolish with a stronger polish (e.g. 1Z Paint Polish).

But what I`d *really* do first (well, after trying the breath/buff thing) is get out an illuminated magnifying loupe and inspect the area to see what`s really going on ;) This little item is money well-spent: 15-Power Lighted Loupe - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43456,43351,51092&p=51092)

twitch
04-28-2008, 07:40 AM
I`m thinking a bit differently here but have you tried a different applicator? Does it produce the same result in the same exact spot?

My5ABaby
04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far! :clap:

This is on an 07 Mazda 6 with a build date of July 07.

Looks like more contamination which the clay didn`t get or maybe some pits and chips catching your polish

Probably isn`t chips (see above). What would cause pitting?

Is that a possible re-painted surface.....?

Original paint.

Is that a convex or concave surface? If it`s concave perhaps as was noted you missed some contamination with your washing/claying or maybe the polish just isn`t getting worked there.

It`s a curved surface, but not terribly. I may have missed it with claying though, I`ll give it one more shot.

:confused: IME there`s no such thing as a "normal problem" when using 1Z MP :D

My5ABaby- Judging from the pics, it *looks like* there`s some kind of surface texture issue...almost like an open grain (if it`s below surface) or else the aforementioned contamination (if it`s above surface).

If I were in your shoes, I`d first try fogging the surface with my breath and rebuffing it..maybe that`ll make the polish come off cleanly.

If that didn`t work, I`d try reclaying. If *that* doesn`t work, I`d repolish with a stronger polish (e.g. 1Z Paint Polish).

But what I`d *really* do first (well, after trying the breath/buff thing) is get out an illuminated magnifying loupe and inspect the area to see what`s really going on ;) This little item is money well-spent: 15-Power Lighted Loupe - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43456,43351,51092&p=51092)

I can get the polish off cleanly with a microfiber cloth. I just left part of it on there for the pictures. Once I wipe it off you can`t tell they`re there.

I`ll try rebuff, then reclay, and then I`ll move on to the buying stuff part (I`m poor :D ).

8Banger
04-28-2008, 07:25 PM
it could be some overspray from your tire/tim dressing that you`re just now noticing because you`re actually looking closer now that you`re polishing/waxing

just a thought

deathlok
04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I`ll try rebuff, then reclay, and then I`ll move on to the buying stuff part (I`m poor :D ).

Excuse my "newbieness" :P:P but if you can get it complete clean you cant feel or see any spots whats the problem?

(thats why I wrote earlier that this is common. It seemed to me some not well wiped polish residue and that was it in the end.

My5ABaby
04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Excuse my "newbieness" :P:P but if you can get it complete clean you cant feel or see any spots whats the problem?

(thats why I wrote earlier that this is common. It seemed to me some not well wiped polish residue and that was it in the end.

I know it`s there and it annoys me. :D

it could be some overspray from your tire/tim dressing that you`re just now noticing because you`re actually looking closer now that you`re polishing/waxing

just a thought

I haven`t used any before.

charlesaferg
04-29-2008, 09:33 PM
User earlier was right on, I`m willing to bet it`s contamination protruding fom the surface, clay doesn`t get everything - I run into this a lot. Try to pick at it, and see if it`s sticking out, otherwise it could be an indentation - but I`ve never had streaks like that from indentation, ever.

Yet, it sounds like protruding contaminants, considering you can wipe it clean. Same thing that happens to me exactly.

NSXTASY
04-29-2008, 09:35 PM
+36

Try clay, it looks like some contamination.

My5ABaby
04-30-2008, 05:56 AM
I`ll try claying again. I need a new bar so it`ll give me an excuse to buy one. My current one is disintegrating...

ducktail
04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
I get that too, can it be wax or sealant that is being removed by the pad than deposited back on the paint in clumps?