PDA

View Full Version : Older Mercedes Clear Coats. Any advice?

imported_MBenz
04-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Now that i have gotten some rotary practice on some cheaper cars, I`m ready to tackle the 2 Mercedes. I have a 560sel and a 300te. Both are white, 1991, and they have hard clear coats with a good amount of swirls. I`m looking on some expert advice on what pad and product combo works well on these old hard Mercedes clears.

Thanks

Envious Eric
04-27-2008, 10:32 PM
wool pad and a medium to heavy compound...followed by a foam light cut/heavy polishing pad with a polish, then polish pad with polish...then wax...

I have done a 85 benz...PC did absolutely nothing for the paint even with PG and a Yellow LC foam pad...never again will I try to do it without a rotary

imported_MBenz
04-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the advice. I have a meg`s wool pad and a collection of LC pads so those should be fine. Do you have and recommendations for which compounds and polishes to use? I was thinking Meg`s 105 or 95 for compound (not sure which to use) Megs #83 w/ orange LC and then what? Would it be worth it to go to #82 then?

Accumulator
04-28-2008, 07:01 AM
MBenz- I`d be a little careful about doing aggressive correction on those. My w126 Benzes were a little earlier (`86 and `88) but their clear wasn`t all that thick.

Seems like most people using the M105 are following up the something like 3M Ultrafina. And I`d look at Presta 1500 instead of Meg`s #83 (check local autobody/paint supply stores for the 3M and Presta).

FWIW, I`d probably go with 1Z Intensive and High Gloss, with maybe the Presta in between. But I`d be taking ETG measurements as I sure wouldn`t want to precipitate a repaint.

toyotaguy- Interesting that the `85 was so hard :think: That was right around the time that MB started to use (lacquer) clearcoats and IME they were always sorta soft (and thin). I did OK on mine (and also on early `80s MG single stage) with the Cyclo, but it did take a little while.

brwill2005
04-28-2008, 07:23 AM
Clean Dean is the one you want to ask regarding older MB. He has worked on some beauties. Search for some of his MB threads.