PDA

View Full Version : old gum question??

imported_advs1
04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
good evening fellow autopians, i have a question for you gents. i was working on a friends 1998 honda accord and came across what i thought was touch up paint. upon further inspection, i found it was old gum that had dried on the car. i tried everything i had to get it off but there are small amounts left on the hood and trunk. what has worked for others, in the same or similar situation?

Envious Eric
04-27-2008, 10:33 PM
clay, alcohol, bug/tar remover, wd40,

jimmybuffit
04-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Steamer.

Hot, wet towel.

brwill2005
04-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Usually body solvents make quick work of gum. Plastic razor blades in combination with a solvent helps.

imported_advs1
04-28-2008, 08:49 AM
thanks guys, i tried tar remover and wd40 but nothing. i might try a hot towel next. it is so hard on there not even a plastic razor would do anything. i tried and one piece flaked off, but there are two others that are so stuck it maybe beyond machine and i might have to sand??

azifukare
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
if it is on there that good it is most likely not gum but maybe roadpaint or construction epoxy flung up by the tires, i use a heat gun to see if the material will change consistancy

then pick away with the plasctic tools then lastly the high flash enamel epoxy(think 3m adhesive remover on nitrious) don`t be suprised if there is a showdow in the paint if you finally get that off. . . .it could look worse or you could turn from hero to goat very easily (and quickly)

brwill2005
04-30-2008, 06:56 AM
if it is on there that good it is most likely not gum but maybe roadpaint or construction epoxy flung up by the tires, i use a heat gun to see if the material will change consistancy

then pick away with the plasctic tools then lastly the high flash enamel epoxy(think 3m adhesive remover on nitrious) don`t be suprised if there is a showdow in the paint if you finally get that off. . . .it could look worse or you could turn from hero to goat very easily (and quickly)

I was thinking the exact same thing. Usually gum comes off pretty easily with a solvent.