PDA

View Full Version : Do i really need a PTG?

baseballlover1
04-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Well today is my birthday and i recieved 350$ from the family and i was thinking about saving somemore and buying a PTG (Defelsko Positest DFT Combo). But someone just mentioned to me i dont need one. I liked the idea of having one because ... well for the obvious reasons. But i also thought about getting a Infratech CM5300. I am not sure what i should do. What should i do? Or just save which is probably the best thing to do if i do not need a PTG.

howareb
04-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Decisions decisions... Hmm!! How should I spend your money. First off Happy B-day, 15 years old. Hummm. That was some time ago for me.

Well to help you out, the gauge is a "need" for wetsanding. Also you do not necessarily need the Deflesko. Their are cheaper alternatives out there for starting out with. The Highline 279.99 (ebay) or the Phase II will get the job done (except on fiberglass). The Highline has been getting some pretty good press here lately. I have a Phase II myself and I am happy with it

The CM5300 is nice also. So for $75.00 more than what you got for your birthday, you can then get both a decent gauge and one of the better "swirl lights"on the market.

dsms
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Decisions decisions... Hmm!! How should I spend your money. First off Happy B-day, 15 years old. Hummm. That was some time ago for me.

Well to help you out, the guage is a definite for wetsanding. Also you do not necessarily need the Deflesko. Their are cheaper alternatives out there. The Highline 279.99 (ebay) or the Phase II will get the job done (except on fiberglass, like Corvettes.) The CM5300 is nice also but for $75.00 more you can then get both a decent gauge and one of the better "swirl lights"on the market.

Im going rotary and was thinking if I should buy the Highline also, for the price it seems perfect but its another $279 expense on top of the rotary itself. Of course that one time it might save me from burning through a thin clear it will have paid for itself and "peace of mind" is always nice to have but Im having a tough time deciding if a PTG is worth it. BTW im buying the CM5300 also, the brinkmann isnt cutting it and the SG is too expensive.

baseballlover1
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
I would want to be able to measure fiberglass because a few cars i work on have fiberglass hoods and such. And plus... i wouldnt be able to do those stupid corvettes without it.

And i do wetsand a little so i would probably want to get one... looks like i will be buying a PTG. Its only 2 more cars would get it... or 1 full detail.

And i want to be able to show people their swirls really badly. Like if i go to peoples houses to do evaluations and such. And i agree the SG is too expensive and i think the brinkman was too cheap.

howareb
04-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I would want to be able to measure fiberglass because a few cars i work on have fiberglass hoods and such. And plus... i wouldnt be able to do those stupid corvettes without it.

And i do wetsand a little so i would probably want to get one... looks like i will be buying a PTG. Its only 2 more cars would get it... or 1 full detail.

And i want to be able to show people their swirls really badly. Like if i go to peoples houses to do evaluations and such. And i agree the SG is too expensive and i think the brinkman was too cheap.

Well sorry to tal you but you are going to need an ultrasonic for the fiberglass (which the Deflesko DFT Combo is not). Those are expensive (although e-bay has some for $180.00, if you do a search). The deflesko you would need starts at $1700 for fiberglass.

Also you may still need your Brinkmann. The CM5300 is best for the shop because it is corded. If you are going to show customers swirls then you better have a long extension cord :).

howareb
04-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Im going rotary and was thinking if I should buy the Highline also, for the price it seems perfect but its another $279 expense on top of the rotary itself. Of course that one time it might save me from burning through a thin clear it will have paid for itself and "peace of mind" is always nice to have but Im having a tough time deciding if a PTG is worth it. BTW im buying the CM5300 also, the brinkmann isnt cutting it and the SG is too expensive.

It is worth the expense. It also gives a very professional appearance if you work on customer cars. If you just use it then it is extra peace of mind. I will repeat though that having it for wetsanding is a must.