PDA

View Full Version : Owned by White Camry

Pages : [1] 2

detaildoc
04-26-2008, 06:10 PM
:help: Ok, so I tried to do my friend`s car today, it is an 05 white Camry. I was really surprise to find that the cc was rock hard. I used the Flex at speed 6 with IP/orange pad combo and I barely made a dent on the swirls. I also tried SFX 1 and a white DAS Pad, and nothing. Man, what a frustrating experience :wall. I ended up just doing the inside while I research other combo for the paint. I need some suggestions. What else can I try? I don`t own a rotary nor have experience with one, so what other combo do you guys recommend? Here are a few pics of the paint:

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/lovemyes350/c2.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/lovemyes350/c1.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/lovemyes350/c3.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/lovemyes350/c4.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/lovemyes350/c5.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc260/lovemyes350/c6.jpg

Mobilejay
04-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Bro I hear ya! I know how you feel, the thread I made about the G35 that owned me.

I am surprised that it was a hard cc. Do you know if the car was repainted? Being 05 I don`t think the car would be.

Is IP stronger or the same(or less) than OC/OP? I would try to hit it with OP if it doesn`t work than try OC, hell if you have to give OHC a try.

imported_advs1
04-26-2008, 06:26 PM
i did a white BMW that i thought was grey at first. i used CG 1.5 with orange pad followed by CG final polish and a white pad. it came out damn good. no pics sorry

SuperBee364
04-26-2008, 06:30 PM
SIP will offer alot more correction than just regular IP will. Almost as much as OC, but not quite. Plus, it`ll finish down alot better than a real compound. Removing compound hazing with a PC is about as hard as removing the original swirls. You might want to consider multiple applications of SIP followed by a ceramiclear-rated finishing polish.

tod071
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Might want to check if it was repainted. IIRC, the Camry white should be a single stage, soft paint. My friend has an 06 Hybrid Camry and its single staged.

What other products do you have? SIP? 106FF? Those may help if the cc was rock hard.

howareb
04-26-2008, 06:42 PM
DetailDoc, I agree with SuperBee on the SIP. However you are learning the limitations of even the highly reguarded Flex. You could also try a lambswool pad or an LC yellow. It will require you to take an additional step polishing, but it might work with the Flex.

For some cars there is nothing like a rotary. Based on your previous postings I think that you could easily go to the rotary. Give it a shot. I think that you may like it.

detaildoc
04-26-2008, 06:42 PM
It has not been repainted. I have 106ff and RD, I would have to order SIP and hit it with the orange pad. If that does not work, how about the yellow pad? I am considering a rotary, but I don`t have the time to spend hours learning it. I certainly would not want to try it on my friend`s car without experience.

detaildoc
04-26-2008, 07:58 PM
you are learning the limitations of even the highly reguarded Flex.

Amen to that!

howareb
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Upon a second look at the "sun shot" pics, those are compund swirls (holograms). Those are put in by a rotary user who did not finish off the job correclty (Politically correct term!!). Just going by the pics and your results with using the FLEX you may need a rather agressive compund (SIP should fit the bill), wool pad (or wool foam or an aggressive foam may also work).

With just the flex it is going to take a looooonngg time to get those out IMO. Compund swirls in a hard clear are not fun, but very gratifying when your done. I think you can get a decent rotary locally at Sears (Like a Mikita) Hint Hint!!!

detaildoc
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Upon a second look at the "sun shot" pics, those are compund swirls (holograms). Those are put in by a rotary user who did not finish off the job correclty (Politically correct term!!). Just going by the pics and your results with using the FLEX you may need a rather agressive compund (SIP should fit the bill), wool pad (or wool foam or an aggressive foam may also work).

With just the flex it is going to take a looooonngg time to get those out IMO. Compund swirls in a hard clear are not fun, but very gratifying when your done. I think you can get a decent rotary locally at Sears (Like a Mikita) Hint Hint!!!

She has actually never had any detailing work on that car. Those are 100% local car wash induced. Those pics are the "before", before I hit it with the Flex. I tried several passes on one panel and said forget it.

howareb
04-26-2008, 08:25 PM
She has actually never had any detailing work on that car. Those are 100% local car wash induced. Those pics are the "before", before I hit it with the Flex. I tried several passes on one panel and said forget it.

So the CC is hard, but the local carwash has no problem in creating swirls like that. Hmm that is one carwash that I want to stay far away from. :)

The sun shots really show the swirls as being deep (but photos and white can be decieving). Did she ever have any body work, or did the car have swirls when she first took delivery (she may not have noticed it on white) just a couple of guesses.

Mindflux
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
So the CC is hard, but the local carwash has no problem in creating swirls like that. Hmm that is one carwash that I want to stay far away from. :)

This always baffles me. How can a CC be so hard you can`t polish it out without many many passes (like corvettes)... yet gets marred so easily.

:furious:

imported_Denzil
04-26-2008, 08:49 PM
It has not been repainted. I have 106ff and RD, I would have to order SIP and hit it with the orange pad. If that does not work, how about the yellow pad? I am considering a rotary, but I don`t have the time to spend hours learning it. I certainly would not want to try it on my friend`s car without experience.

I don`t know about you buddy but I learned pretty fast. :) So it may take some hours to learn it, but it`s a great time investment and you`ll end up saving time in the long run just like all of us other rotary users. Think about it some more, hehe. ;)

detaildoc
04-26-2008, 09:05 PM

The sun shots really show the swirls as being deep (but photos and white can be decieving). Did she ever have any body work, or did the car have swirls when she first took delivery (she may not have noticed it on white) just a couple of guesses.

No work done, nothing. The car was brand new when she bought it. All it takes is someone with a really dirty rag, perhaps a small pebble caught in between and there you go. That`s 3 years worth of weekly car washes at the car wash. I`ve seen BMW`s with horrible paint.

Chris@Optimum
04-26-2008, 09:37 PM
ultrafina, blue ultrfina pad, and rotary?