PDA

View Full Version : Tried megs #9, i dont think it did ANYTHING

cvpiftw
04-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I tried megs number 9 and it did nothing for me. I got it at pepboys and figured what the heck, why not try it.

It helped my car as much as me doing many 0-100 runs helps it.

I need something stronger that is more likely to be OTC and can be used by hand. I am going to go scottwaxĂ‚® style and not get a PC. I can use the muscles anyway :) .

Also, think it would be wrong for me to return the #9 and claim it did not work? Id tell them its a polish, not a scratch remover as thats all it looks like to me or should i keep the #9?

I have a local carquest that seems to stock alot of megs for what its worth.

Frito Bandito
04-26-2008, 05:31 PM
#9 is really mild stuff but if you are going to work by hand it`s going to take a LOT of muscle to get decent results. Paint supply stores might have Megs #80 OTC, which works ok by hand. I would also pick up some Megs #83 to use before #80. Places like O`Reillys can order it for you and you won`t have to pay shipping.

mikebai1990
04-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Returning it is probably unlikely. #9 is a very mild scratch remover.. Scottwax actually uses a rotary now, he worked polishes in by hand a looong time ago, I believe :)

For OTC products, you could check out Mother`s powerpolish or Meguiars #80/#83. However, do note that by hand, it is very hard to get good results. You will need to spend at the very least 9-10 hours of hand polishing to get a fairly satisfactory result.

cvpiftw
04-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I need the muscles. Cant knock it till ya try. Think they will take it back though? Whats more mild, 80 or 83. I have some major swirls and scratches (to a autopian the paint is in bad shape, tons of tunnel washes), but nothing severe.

I want to return the #9 because i was told that it would work well and it did jack ****. Lies.

cvpiftw
04-26-2008, 05:41 PM
How hard is 83 to apply and break down by hand?

CptMidway
04-26-2008, 05:42 PM
It does work with a machine. Heat is what helps the paint correction process and you simply won`t see the results you expect by doing it by hand. That holds true for most products.

cvpiftw
04-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I cant afford a machine right now grr.

imported_MBenz
04-26-2008, 07:18 PM
I cant afford a machine right now grr.

look on craigslist, ebay or the for sale here at the forums. I picked up a Dewalt dw849 rotary polisher for 30$ the other day off of craigslist. It needed 25$ in parts and it works awesome. If you look I`m sure you could find yourself a good deal on a used one. Paint correction by hand is usually just a waste of time and it won`t turn out as nice as it would with a machine.

cvpiftw
04-26-2008, 09:38 PM
I dont want to get a rotary and fubar the paint

scary bill
04-26-2008, 11:17 PM
I dont want to get a rotary and fubar the paint

I posted this once tonight:

The rotery is not the big mean paint eater its made out to be. Yes, it can do damage fast. I was never totally happy with the correction I got with a PC. I could never get a totally clear finish.

The rotary is faster to correct, no vibration to mess up the nerves in your hands, less effort to polish, clearer finish, able to tackel the really nasty stuff....

You get the point.

As far as learing how to use one. Its not as bad as you think (I`m not saying harmless). There is tons of info on how to use a rotary on this site. I will reiterate the most important anyways.

-Keep the speed lower until you are comfortable/ 1200 RPM will do alot of correction

-Don`t push on the polisher/ enough pressure to keep it flat on the panel is fine

-Polishing/finishing pads are way easier to control than cutting pads(wool is better yet)

-Keep the panel cool, or at least not hot to the touch

-Keep it moving on the panel/ don`t dwell on one spot to get after a scratch

-STAY AWAY FROM EDGES really!

Don`t worry about finishing out perfect, you can easily follow up with your flex. Get some polishing and finishing wool pads and a rotary. Take it easy and you should be fine. :woot2:

Besides this, get a practice panel for a scrap yard or a body shop. I easily got 3 mess up hoods. Read everything on this site about them. Then go do it, you`ll be glad in the long run. You will get the results you want faster.

TTWAGN
04-27-2008, 12:46 AM
I need the muscles. Cant knock it till ya try.

Actually i can knock it because i have tried.

Now many years later i laugh at how stupid i was.

I now use a Rotary buffer. I could get your paint flawless in a couple hours. To do the same thing by hand i reccon it would take 12 hours of continuous rubbing. You`d ideally only be able to do 3 hours a day as its pretty full on.

Once you realise how much rubbing you have to do you`ll probably only get half the bonnet done before you give up. Or you end up doing a half assed effort and the paint still has swirls.

Get a porter cable or UDM and be done with it.

steelwind101
04-27-2008, 03:43 AM
Hi!

Hmm, im not sure i agree exactly with what everyone is saying here, you have to put hand correction in its place. I think if you spend sometime with the right products, there is a good chance you will create a decent improvement in the finish of your paintwork.

Its unlikely you will get full correction OR that ultra refined finish you get from a machine polish. If its your personal car and you can shell out $8 on a tube of scratchX and some time to do a good job you can get results that will improve the looks of your car.

Its important to understand what you are dealing with, Megs #9 is mild and isnt designed for hand application. I could explain how the abbrasives work etc. but its better that you watch this video: YouTube - Tutorial: How to use Meguiar`s ScratchX (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxeqntf0eQ)

It shows you how to apply scratchX and how to get good results. Even pros use products like this by hand, with the right techniques and applicators on intricate details and hard to reach areas with sucess.

I doubt you will remove large amounts of swirls, however you will be able to firstly remove that light hazing you might not even know is there that is induced thru washing. No doubt you can dead-head plenty of minor swirls and scratches.

In the past i have used the Sonus Hand polishing bundle, if you search my name you will find my little review/advice. The applicators make a huge difference!

If your detailing your own car, there is no need to rush if you can set aside a panel or 2 per wash, and give each panel some serious going overs, 3-4 times in the style show to you in the video....NOT fatigue inducing circles. You will get a better a shine, a clearer finish as well as reduction in the visable severity of swirl marks.

Its worht noting that swirl correction should be complimented by good wash technique or its all bit pointless!

Enjoy, let me know if you need any other advice.

Geoff

Accumulator
04-27-2008, 09:27 AM
The only way I`d do an entire car by hand is with1Z brand polishes (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing, Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment, Auto Detailing Products, & Auto Detailing Accessories for all your Automobile Detailing (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ). Yeah, I know, it`s not OTC, but it`s still the only game in town IMO. No way I`d do a whole car by hand with #83 or Scratch-X.