PDA

View Full Version : Tire Oxidation Question & Some Ugly Rust Pics

steveo_m
04-26-2008, 12:14 PM
My Problem / Question:Aluminum wheels from a 2006 Suzuki Aerio, stored in a tin shed in plastic bags over the winter. I pulled them out and discovered some horrible oxidation / mold white spots all over them.

So far the only way I was able to remove them was to use a scouring pad on a detail sander with Mother`s Aluminum & Mag polish with flour thrown in to add a little extra bite. I expect I am removing the clear coat entirely. I`ve only done one spoke so far. I was planning on sealing with "Liquid Glass" polish / sealant. Do you think this is a good approach? Should I spray on a new coat of clear after sanding?

Here are some pics; on the first one you can see the one spoke that I`ve already done.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/steve.mate/SBOBEyoP_3I/AAAAAAAAA_g/wINEvl-gV00/s800/DSC02548.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/steve.mate/SBOBHSoP_5I/AAAAAAAAA_w/8rsZps7eaQE/s800/DSC02556.jpg

Thanks in advance!

-Steve.

steveo_m
04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
After light sanding of the wheel to remove the spots, should I spray with a clear coat product, or can I just apply a sealant like liquid glass?

Setec Astronomy
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Darn, those looked like they were in good shape before....did they have road salt on them when they were stored? It`s a little hard to tell from the pics, but that looks like it`s aluminum corrosion, which creates a white aluminum salt on the surface. What you`ll find if you can clean that off is a pitted surface underneath.

Rather than sanding, I would try an acid wheel cleaner first, to see if that will remove the aluminum salts, and whether you can live with the appearance. You`ll need to rinse really well since the corroded spots will be somewhat porous. I doubt you will get back to a really good appearance without stripping the whole wheel and repainting.

jbone
06-04-2008, 09:11 PM
wow the first spoke came out really well if it looked anything like the others.