PDA

View Full Version : help!! i messed up

8Banger
04-26-2008, 09:42 AM
i was detailing a Mercedes benz SUV a couple weekends ago in pretty warm weather. i had a mf towel damp with ONR CL strength that i wiped across the plastic that covers the instrument panel for all the gauges. immediately there was condensation behind the plastic and it`s STILL there, it`s been there 1-2 weeks and it`s getting on the owners nerves. how do i get rid of this?!!?!?1

thanks autopians!

:hairpull

BlueLibby04
04-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I do not believe you wiping that with a damp towel would cause that to happen. Something else is going on there.

fergnation
04-26-2008, 02:13 PM
I don`t see why the ONR would do that unless you stuck in the freezer for ten minutes first. Condesation happens with two extreme temps. Even if liquid somehow got behind the plastic it would pool. Although now that I think about it, ONR diluted water does cling to surfaces so maybe it did run behind. IF this is the case then the plastic will need to be removed and wiped down. Other than that, air needs to be able to escape for the moisture to dry.

I would take it to a custom shop. They take off interrior panels all day long and somehow seem to get them back into place. Personally, I usually lose a screw or two and have rattles.

imported_advs1
04-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I would take it to a custom shop. They take off interrior panels all day long and somehow seem to get them back into place. Personally, I usually lose a screw or two and have rattles.

LOL even the pros loose screws, you just dont know about it LOL.

when i had a stereo shop, no matter how careful you stuff still gets lost. but we never let it roll out with rattles, those are my pet peeve.

8Banger
04-26-2008, 09:41 PM
so it looks like im going to be out some money to get it fixed?

8Banger
04-27-2008, 07:00 PM
bump, i need some more incite on this please, guys

Accumulator
04-28-2008, 06:45 AM
I wonder what gently warming it with a hairdryer would do :think:

Note that *I* would be mighty careful about doing this on somebody else`s vehicle and also note that once the moisture is gone you might have some kind of artifact like spotting or haze left behind.

Sounds like the cloth might`ve been excessively wet...a lesson for next time ;)

howareb
04-28-2008, 08:21 AM
I wonder what gently warming it with a hairdryer would do :think:

Note that *I* would be mighty careful about doing this on somebody else`s vehicle and also note that once the moisture is gone you might have some kind of artifact like spotting or haze left behind.

Sounds like the cloth might`ve been excessively wet...a lesson for next time ;)

I think Accumulator may be on the right track. Maybe a heat source like a hair dryer will work, but it most likely will leave residue behind. I would be mighty careful as well.