PDA

View Full Version : Used Werkstat AJT and Prime:Acrylic for the first time today

wfedwar
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I was skeptical that this stuff could really be that great (I like Zaino, and this was said to be as good or better looking). On my `99 red F150, I started out with 3M 06060 (I also tried 06062--no discernible difference to me) on orange pads, then PO106ff on green, finally Ultrafina on black.

The surface was pretty good, and the Prime Acrylic made it even better. I applied this with a red pad (all of these were by PC, by the way) and buffed with a microfiber cloth. The Prime:Acrylic goes on easily and I found seemed to buff off the best if not totally dry. I`ve read other posts that say it`s best to wait 30 min, but high spots seem to set up over time and they`re easily buffed away in the first 5-10 minutes. This may also be specific to the Prime:Acrylic, which is more heavily loaded in sealant than the regular Prime. Anyway, the Prime:Acrylic is similar to a mixture I used to use of 1:1 Klasse HGSG and AIO in the way it applies. It seems thinner than Klasse AIO and I don`t know if it cleans as well (was starting with a very clean surface). It does, however, have a deeper look to it than Klasse AIO (or HGSG) and maybe deeper than Z2P/Z5P. Like I said, I like Zaino, too.

I went out and got a cheeseburger while letting that coat cure the recommended 30 min and came back to apply AJT. This is absolutely the easiest sealant I`ve ever used. Just spray, maybe 1-2 sprays per panel (remember, F150 here) and wipe in with a microfiber cloth. I think you`d have to try hard to screw this up. For those of you that have used HGSG, this is NOTHING like that. Even though it looks similar and may have a similar formulation, AJT is far, far easier to buff off. Jut spray and keep wiping until you have a good gloss. I think I did the whole truck in about 15 min and that`s taking my time. I`m very impressed with the ease of use. Zaino is easy to apply and buff off, but this product essentially cuts even that application time in half. If I had to compare AJT to anything else I`ve ever used, I`d say it looks and feels (in the bottle) most like Klasse HGSG, applies most like Z8 or AW, and the finish looks sortof in between typical sealant and carnaubas. Good gloss and depth; not plasticy. It is not as slick feeling as Zaino or NXT 2.0. I`m hoping to get decent durability out of it. If it lasts as long as people say, this may be my go-to sealant. Sorry no pics, wife took the camera out of town.

Bigpikle
04-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I really like this as well - good look, great flake pop, very easy to use.

I used it on my Dad`s DD back in early Jan after a polish to remove a load of country lane scratches. He reckoned the look was better than new (on a 4yr old car) and i had regular status reports over the last 3 months telling me it was holding up fine and beading like a trooper, with the car being much easier to wash. He sold it yesterday and even after the final wash still claimed it looked as good as new - 3 months of heavy winter motoring later.

The car had 1 x Prime Acrylic and 1 x AJT, and has spent all winter in a rural area right on the coast, following tractors and lorries to and from a quarry - taking a lot of abuse. I think it will hold up pretty well ;)

Wasatch
04-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I`m also a user of the Werkstatt Twins, very nice products.

SVR
04-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes indeed, I only use them on light colours and metal flaked finishes

By rotary, Prime can do some amazing things but if you let it dry, its hologram city and a ***** to get off

Very simple and good by hand too.

MattPersman
04-27-2008, 04:49 AM
I like the Prime/AJT as well. it was my fav before Ultima came out.

these companies and forum users torture us with all these new products and reviews makes you want to try them all

SVR
04-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Have moved past all that.

Unless its revolutionary or just outright far superior to anything else I have then I don`t bother

Bert
04-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes indeed, I only use them on light colours and metal flaked finishes

By rotary, Prime can do some amazing things but if you let it dry, its hologram city and a ***** to get off

Very simple and good by hand too.

You apply Prime with a rotary? Interesting, never tried that.