PDA

View Full Version : Can I get this any cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_MBenz
04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I`m in the process of restoring/detailing my 1991 Mercedes Benz 560sel. The car is already in good shape for 130k, but I`m kinda new to the detailing stuff and now i really want to make this old benz shine. I`m running into a bit of a challenge with the interior. The grey plastic/vinyl trim has proven to be a little bit difficult to get "like new." So far i`ve used extreme green APC diluted 10:1, Girots interior cleaner and a magic eraser w/ light pressure. Maybe i`m being too much of a perfectionist here, but if any of you guys know a trick to getting this cleaner than in the picture, i would love to hear it.

Thanks

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/Benz50602/IMG_0338.jpg

Legacy
04-24-2008, 09:03 PM
Looks pretty dam good to me.

NCZ13
04-24-2008, 09:12 PM
i know swissvax makes a wood polish for interior pieces... and that would probably make all the difference on the wood grain.

also a interior conditioner like megs natural shine (cheap OTC product) might give the interior plastics and vinyl will give it a like new shine, w/o being greasy like armor all does

teck
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Just try some Megs DC Paint Cleaner and Polish Megs started out as funiture polish company so that where their products get there baisis

imported_MBenz
04-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Like i said maybe i`m just trying to be to perfect here. I don`t think it is too shabby considering the age an mileage. But could it be like new again? If you look closely there are some areas on the grey pieces that have dirt in the "grain" of the material. Maybe that is just the way it is?

I just use Aerospace 303 to dress the stuff and it gives a very nice finish and good protection.

Jim C
04-26-2008, 09:46 PM
" a magic eraser w/ light pressure"

Why light pressure? Why are you afraid to use a little elbow grease? Im sure that would make all the difference, i dont think a magic eraser is going to harm plastic no matter how hard you scrub.

Chris@Optimum
04-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Jim, I respectfully disagree. Magic eraser is abrasive. I`d play with APC dilutions and brushes or woolite and water followed by a damp MF. That`s a MB not a honda.

Setec Astronomy
04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Why light pressure? Why are you afraid to use a little elbow grease? Im sure that would make all the difference, i dont think a magic eraser is going to harm plastic no matter how hard you scrub.

If you take the as-molded shine off a small section of that piece of plastic or vinyl so that it doesn`t match the rest of the, say, dash, that could be a pretty big problem, especially when the OP is "restoring" an older, expensive car.

itb76
04-27-2008, 09:30 AM
You should be able to get the rest of the dirt out, though it may take a lot of time. Normally I use Woolite diluted 6:1 for interiors. For heavy dirt I would consider Simple Green 4:1 but I would definitely stay away from the Magic Eraser, it`s very abrasive. Dress with 303 when you`re happy with the cleanliness.

Be sure to Click & Brag when you`re all done!

Envious Eric
04-27-2008, 09:36 AM
steam it with some APC????

Accumulator
04-27-2008, 09:39 AM
MBenz- OOOH....I just *LOVE* W126 Benzes :xyxthumbs

My mechanic gave me one for a loaner a while back and I felt sorry for the poor thing (230K miles, hideous cosmetic condition) so I did a several-day detail on it. The way I got the interior cleaned up was by using a steamer. Heh heh, it ended up doing such a good job that I had to pretty much to the whole interior to make it look uniform.

If you decide to steam it, be careful that you don`t mess up things adjacent to the areas being steamed (e.g., the wood trim, white lettering). Get a strong cleaner (maybe one of the Meg`s APCs) and let it dwell on the surface in question (yeah, a challenge with vertical surfaces). Then steam it, working small areas and preferably using a soft brush attachment on the steamer.

No way I`d use a magic eraser on the interior plastic of a W126, but that`s just me. IMO it won`t conform to the texture of the molded-in grain and is likely to do some degree of leveling. Cut through the light gray layer and you won`t be happy ;) (E.g., check out the edge of the passenger side parcel shelf where it abuts the center stack.) Brushes will at least conform to the surface to some extent, so that`s the most aggressive type of scrubbing medium I`d use.

Mark77
04-28-2008, 03:41 AM
More pictures would be nice to see :)

imported_dazzerjp
04-28-2008, 05:05 AM
That`s a MB not a honda.

?

Are you suggesting that a honda is a sort of cheap comparative there?

agazmi
05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
?

look at the average price of a new honda then compare it to the average price of a new Benz. im sure no offence was meant but honda`s dont scream affluence...

BlueLibby04
05-20-2008, 10:56 PM
?

:wow:

Funny post.