PDA

View Full Version : PC7424 Removing scratches/clear coat?

justinschmidt1
04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Ive read that the pc7424 orbital buffer CANT remove clearcoat/paint and can not fix scratches

How can this be true?

If I use a cutting pad and a strong enough compound/polish it has to be removing some clear and removing the scratches right?

I dont understand why I keep reading that a PC cant remove clearcoat.

How can something spin that fast on my paint with a compound that is made to remove clearcoat and scratches and supposedly Not remove clearcoat?

BigJimZ28
04-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Ive read that the pc7424 orbital buffer CANT remove clearcoat/paint and can not fix scratches

where did you read that?

NO it is not true

justinschmidt1
04-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Just random websites ive stumbled apon have said that...I wanted to make sure I wasnt crazy. lol

I have noticed that with a white polishing pad it doesnt want to remove scratches even with a light compound.

I need to try out my cutting pad...see how that works

Is there a big differance in cut from the polishing pad to the yellow cutting pad?

Legacy
04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Just random websites ive stumbled apon have said that...I wanted to make sure I wasnt crazy. lol

I have noticed that with a white polishing pad it doesnt want to remove scratches even with a light compound.

I need to try out my cutting pad...see how that works

Is there a big differance in cut from the polishing pad to the yellow cutting pad?

\

Yes, the yellow pad is pretty aggressive. You might have to go over with a white or gray to get rid of some hazing. I would try an orange pad first. What kind of polish are you using and what color paint?

justinschmidt1
04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Yes, the yellow pad is pretty aggressive. You might have to go over with a white or gray to get rid of some hazing. I would try an orange pad first. What kind of polish are you using and what color paint?

Im still waiting on my autogeek order with yellow,orange, white, and the blue pad

I also ordered pinnacle swirl and scratch remove and some wolfgang polish enhancer

My paint is a somewhat med/darker blue

Im just curious what I can do to remove slight scratches..Im not asking to remove gashes just slight scratches that should be easily removed

I just wasnt seeing results with the white pad that came with the buffer and some random meguairs polish or evne this " light compound, supposed to remove up to 1500 grit sand paper scratches"

Will I actually have some cutting power with the orange/yellow pad and the swirl/scratch remover I ordered?

I was using 4-5 speed on my pc to try and remove scratches

Legacy
04-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Sorry can`t answer. I`ve been using 106ff with a white pad and it does it for me.

justinschmidt1
04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
hmm...

well, I guess Ill have to wait and see.

Any reccomendations?

I plan on using some swirl/scratch remover, then the wolfgang polish enhancer, then a coat of 1z glanz wax

I might try the 1z polish too...

Anyone have any reccomendations for any more steps?

Should get some finishing polish or am I fine with those steps?

I want to take my car to the next level...but it is already clean and well taken car of, just not with a pc7424

Legacy
04-23-2008, 10:32 PM
hmm...

well, I guess Ill have to wait and see.

Any reccomendations?

I plan on using some swirl/scratch remover, then the wolfgang polish enhancer, then a coat of 1z glanz wax

I might try the 1z polish too...

Anyone have any reccomendations for any more steps?

Should get some finishing polish or am I fine with those steps?

I want to take my car to the next level...but it is already clean and well taken car of, just not with a pc7424

Get Menz 106FF you won`t be sorry.

Allen_F
04-24-2008, 02:52 AM
try using 3m ultrafina on a green pad (one up from the final buff which i think you`ll find is blue) move it in the east west north south east west motion on speed 3 distance of travel (speed you move over the paintwork) APPROX 1-- 1.5 inches a second faster is not always better

But try the scratch and swirl stuff in place of the 3m first. see what you get. I can take a 15YO black motor that looks grey / white and hand it back like a mirror (mind you it takes a long time)

allen

justinschmidt1
04-24-2008, 07:27 AM
lol...

thanks...

I need to get ahold of some finishing polish

Hopefully I get my order today and I can see how affective this yellow pad is with a light compound.

Raz5219
04-24-2008, 04:35 PM
How about using 4" pads? Won`t that help in better cutting with a PC?

justinschmidt1
04-24-2008, 06:05 PM
How about using 4" pads? Won`t that help in better cutting with a PC?

Yea,

well, I got some stuff today...orange pad, swirl/scratch remover, polish

the orange pad seems to work a lot better to cut

I should be getting my yellow pad within the next couple days so that will probably be even better than the orange pad and I should be able to remove scratches....

The most effective way for me has been wetsanding with 2000 grit to try and remove the scratch and then go over it with the compound,swirl remover, and polish.

Ill probably just stick with that method rather than trying to buff away clear