PDA

View Full Version : Too many choices!!!

Pages : [1] 2

C5-Deb
04-23-2008, 04:52 PM
It`s time for the summer detail on the Ford Explorer Sport Trac. I can`t make up my mind as to which products to use. It`s dark blue (as seen below) with minimum swirls. Paint is actually in pretty good shape.

This is what I am up against - I live in Arizona and 110 degree days are around the corner. The truck is parked in full sun 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. I need maximum protection from the sun/heat, something that will last more than a couple weeks, but also want a nice, reflective shine. Suggestions for polish and sealant combo? Can do by hand or UDM.

THANK YOU!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y230/deb2ann/DSC00039.jpg

Setec Astronomy
04-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Wow, that`s a nice color! The southwest people are going to have to give you the sealant recommendation.

wannafbody
04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Zaino holds up very well against heat and sunshine. It does have a bit of a learning curve tho.

VroomVroom
04-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I`d also recommend Four Star UPP. My folks live in `Zona and I use it on their cars when I`m out there. They`re in Sierra Vista, so they`ve got cooler temps, but their water is ridiculously hard...I`d bow to your judgment on whether those factors wash out in the durability equation.

Rob Tomlin
04-23-2008, 07:31 PM
FK1 1000p

I`ve been very impressed thus far, and plenty of others here will vouch for its longevity and holding up to the elements.

imported_Denzil
04-23-2008, 08:06 PM
I`m not used to those extreme temperatures anymore from SoCal but I would recommend 4* UPP or OS. Another option is to do Poli-Seal it and then top with OS or OCW.

Meg`s #21 maybe even? I wouldn`t know for sure though cause I haven`t used it.

C5-Deb
04-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Vroom Vroom is right - the water out here in Arizona is very hard. With that as an additional factor, should still try the???

Macruz19
04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I`d say the desert heat is very similiar to the tropical heat here in FL but here in FL we get constant rain, but Zaino held up more for me a long time, and can handle the very hot sun. No problems using it in extreme conditions. Just a suggestion :2thumbs:

It`s a very blinding sight too if you use Z-2pro.

C5-Deb
04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
When using the Z-2 Pro, is it a must to use the ZFX additive in it? Does it make that much of a difference?

Macruz19
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
When using the Z-2 Pro, is it a must to use the ZFX additive in it? Does it make that much of a difference?

They say it last longer, and to avoid bonding issues, either ZFX or Z-AIO is needed if you want to maximize durability, but honestly you can use Z-2p as a stand alone.

When I first tried Z-2p I just applied it and I was amazed on the looks and durability. That`s how I got my feet wet by simply using that one product at first before using the Zaino system.

C5-Deb
04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I was actually looking at the Z-2 Pro originally, but then read quite a few threads with water spotting issues. With the hard water we have here, I thought I should maybe try something else. I have also read that the Collinite 845 is very durable, but not sure about the looks.

Wasatch
04-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Try the Werkstatt Twins (Prime, AJ) as well, last a long time.

SuperBee364
04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
If DavidB is still selling the Ultima sample kits, you might want to give the Ultima Paint Guard Plus sealant a try. They market it as having UV protection in it. It`s also very durable and provides excellent environmental protection. If I remember right, the sample kit is only forty bucks, and has enough UPGP in it to do that truck 20+ times. Very cost effective.

It does have a bit different of a look from Zaino, though. Zaino is blindingly shiny. UPGP has more of a carnauba look to it. It still does look like a sealant, it just leans a bit toward the nuba look. Zaino also has UV protection in it, and is very durable. But for environmental protection, IMO, the nod goes to UPGP.

SVR
04-26-2008, 11:22 PM
for best possible protection against UV sun, heat and hard water, Permagard Pre delivery or Reactive is my choice

The PD goes a long way and sheets for months. Just use a cheap or pro orbital with bonnets to apply, it cures totally differently to all other sealants and will give 12 months no probs

Accumulator
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
C5-Deb- Hey, that`s really good looking, love the color.

For a big thing like that (which will probably get used like real vehicle as opposed to being a garage queen), I don`t think I`d try to keep it good enough for a sealant. I`d go with !z polish If needed) topped with Collinite wax (sources: Welcome to Exceldetail.com! (http://www.exceldetail.com/) or Aloha & Welcome to Our Oasis for All Your Auto Detailing, Auto Detailing Supplies, Auto Detailing Equipment, Auto Detailing Products, & Auto Detailing Accessories for all your Automobile Detailing (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ). That`s whay I`m using on my Denali XL....I use a sealant on our minivan and keeping it utterly marring free is a bit of a challenge. I *really* don`t think you`d be disappointed with how Collinite looks, and the way it sheds dirt/etc. is really something. And yeah, I think it`d hold up fine in the heat.

Much as I like how UPP looks on my S8, I wouldn`t recommend it for this. It needs to be refreshed too often.